Prostate case: What is appropriate for reirradiation and how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

communitydoc13

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
78 y/o with osteoporosis and good PS now 6 years out from EBRT alone for favorable intermediate risk prostate cancer. (T1c, PSA ~6, Gleason 3+4=7). Now with biochemical progression (most recent PSA 5.6 with PSA doubling time ~10.7 months). Restaging imaging, including axumin, demonstrates isolated activity at prostate base with involvement of SV.

What to do?

1. Observe (risk to life still low and DMFS probably pretty high at 7 years based on PSA doubling time)
2. ADT (pt with osteoporosis)
3. Cryo
4. Re-irradiation (If so, how and what dose?) Seen multiple series with 25 Gy in 5 fxn partial prostate with ~50% biochemical control at 2-3 years. Doesn't really seem worth it to me.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

78 y/o with osteoporosis and good PS now 6 years out from EBRT alone for favorable intermediate risk prostate cancer. (T1c, PSA ~6, Gleason 3+4=7). Now with biochemical progression (most recent PSA 5.6 with PSA doubling time ~10.7 months). Restaging imaging, including axumin, demonstrates isolated activity at prostate base with involvement of SV.

What to do?

1. Observe (risk to life still low and DMFS probably pretty high at 7 years based on PSA doubling time)
3. Cryo
4. Re-irradiation (If so, how and what dose?) Seen multiple series with 25 Gy in 5 fxn partial prostate with ~50% biochemical control at 2-3 years. Doesn't really seem worth it to me.

Thoughts?
step 1 I think, is biopsy.

Reactions: 2 users

What to do?

3. Cryo

Thoughts?
Probably option 4 but would need to know more. Does he have obstructive symptoms? Because if so I may not choose to radiate.

I agree with you, I would not do anything partial gland. Would do salvage SBRT or Brachy to the whole gland. I typically prefer Brachy (I do 30/3 for re-treatment) but this may be a tough area if the recurrence is too medial or anterior.

We discussed this in a recent thread. I do a fair bit of this with Brachy and Gfunk (and others) prefer SBRT. If you carefully select the patient we don’t see any notable toxicity compared to first line treatment. If you want technical details about the SBRT ask GFunk.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with prostate biopsy if you're considering local treatment. If there has been a long disease free interval and the patient has a good life expectancy, I favor brachytherapy or SBRT. I don't think 25/5 is enough. if you're doing brachy, something like 32 Gy in 4 fractions or 34 Gy in 5 fraction SBRT. I also don't think partial gland treatments every work. You need to treat entire gland due to risk of microsopic disease. You also may want to add short term ADT. Can do Relugolix due to faster onset and resolution of side effects.

Reactions: 1 user
can you feel good about brachy with sv involvement? it's possible this was a marginal miss, right, as fav int risk might get prostate only rt. Also, biopsy important I think to see what the GS really is. PSADT of 11 months sounds like more than 3+4. If HR, could necessitate systemic therapy and make withholding RT more reasonable.

Completely agree. There is honestly a little magic involved in reading these AXUMIN scans.
My understanding was that positive prostate Axumin doesn't have terribly high PPV (~50%), however I thought this was often in the setting of other areas of disease.

In this case, really quite positive imaging (MRI with clear lesion correlating to focal Axumin avidity (not whole gland hot), no distant areas of avidity and I'm very confident that local recurrence has happened.

No obstructive symptoms. OAB.

My understanding was that positive prostate Axumin doesn't have terribly high PPV (~50%), however I thought this was often in the setting of other areas of disease.

In this case, really quite positive imaging (MRI with clear lesion correlating to focal Axumin avidity (not whole gland hot), no distant areas of avidity and I'm very confident that local recurrence has happened.

No obstructive symptoms. OAB.
It is highly operator dependent. One of our guys is a magician and is right almost every time. His 2 counterparts: probably 50/50. But to your point, there are “positive” scans and there are positive scans.

The MRI may be tricky to read too. If you look at ADC mapping on DWI the diffusion in the tumor does change after treatment (inverse to normal tissue too) but it never looks normal again. I do always get them for planning but again having a radiologist who really know their stuff with these can help.

Uro opinion here.

1. Definitely biopsy. No salvage local therapy without. Too morbid to shoot from the hip. Would probably biopsy the SVs as well.
2. If positive, consider observation with ADT for symptoms or rapid doubling, cryo, or brachy. OsteoP not great for ADT, but neither are bone Mets. At my shop would likely be brachy as no one really does cryo, but if you have a good cryo doc then would consider that also. If SVs positive then would avoid cryo.
3. Salvage post-xrt patients, whether brachy or xrt often end up pretty unhappy. Expect a lot of Luts that are difficult to manage. Will counsel quite candidly about risk/benefit and competing risks.

As an aside. If patient was 15 years younger would likely recommend salvage prostatectomy. Not in a 79yo.

Reactions: 4 users
See this recent thread about prostate re-irradiation, it will be helpful here

Members don't see this ad :)
We often give 10 x 3 Gy, you could focal boost with a SIB.

I agree with biopsy.

GFunk and ramses clearly have more experience with this than me, but I keep thinking that if thorough imaging (including axumin but preferably PSMA, MRI) and thorough whole gland biopsy are congruent (ie positive biopsy specimen location perfectly correlates with imaging) then partial gland/SV re-irradiation seems so tempting to me.

Something else to consider is how well he tolerated the ADT. I know he has osteoporosis but what was QoL on it. If absolutely miserable then that's more incentive for local therapy. if didn't mind it then that may not be enough to push you into some local therapy to at least kick that down the road.

Last edited:
Something else to consider is how well he tolerated the ADT.
In this patient no ADT previously.
if thorough imaging (including axumin but preferably PSMA, MRI) and thorough whole gland biopsy are congruent (ie positive biopsy specimen location perfectly correlates with imaging) then partial gland/SV re-irradiation seems so tempting to me.
I'm tempted by the same thinking. Goal here to me is not really long term biochemical control but some reasonable likelihood of biochemical control for 2-5 years with minimal toxicity so as to defer ADT (possibly to end of life). Imaging so far indicates recurrence in area where I could probably get very low urethral dose.

I would almost view this as an Oriole type strategy (albeit in a better prognosis patient).

Of course if bx shows Gleason 9 disease, would lean more towards systemic therapy.

I have delivered a lot of reirradiation, more than most, including countless spines, brains, and lungs but never prostate. Just never had a case where the risk benefit ratio favors it (full dose, not 300 x 10 or 500 x 5 etc.
If situation did present itself, would send to colleague for brachytherapy targeting lesion identified on mri. Anyone who is a candidate for reirradiation in my opinion would need hormones. If the disease was not systemically threatening, not sure how you can justify risks of full dose definitive treatment here.

Reactions: 5 users
I have delivered a lot of reirradiation, more than most, including countless spines, brains, and lungs but never prostate. Just never had a case where the risk benefit ratio favors it (full dose, not 300 x 10 or 500 x 5 etc.
If situation did present itself, would send to colleague for brachytherapy targeting lesion identified on mri. Anyone who is a candidate for reirradiation in my opinion would need hormones. If the disease was not systemically threatening, not sure how you can justify risks of full dose definitive treatment here.

I do think if you re-irradiate I too would favor 4-6 months ADT.

I have no data for this off the top of my head, just thinking out loud here.

Uro opinion here.

3. Salvage post-xrt patients, whether brachy or xrt often end up pretty unhappy. Expect a lot of Luts that are difficult to manage. Will counsel quite candidly about risk/benefit and competing risks.

As an aside. If patient was 15 years younger would likely recommend salvage prostatectomy. Not in a 79yo.
So this conflict of observation is interesting. Gfunk and Ramses would say not much more morbidity with salvage brachy or sbrt. Urologist says lots of morbidity.

I've retreated someone with SBRT who received initial EBRT. Didn't have any other treatment options, and initial tx was more than 10 years in the past. There's actually decent data that suggests it can be done safely, which surprised me.

He's done well, with fewer urinary sx than I was fearing would develop. NED.

In terms of randomized data re-irradiation is such a data free zone. (Wish the brain trusts had been exploring this zone instead of RT elimination zones.) So many papers of 25-50 people and “We tried this and saw some good results.” I do re RT of course too but not really in prostate. Would be zero surprised if in a randomized three arm trial of observation, hormones, or hormones and re-RT in ~octogenarians afflicted with rising PSA and suspicious prostate Axumin scans more than 5 years out from initial RT that the observation arm would come out as the overall more desirable choice. But would be nice to “know.”

Reactions: 5 users
So this conflict of observation is interesting. Gfunk and Ramses would say not much more morbidity with salvage brachy or sbrt. Urologist says lots of morbidity.

Probably the same way I swear I see a ton of incontinence and ED after prostatectomy but they don't see it.

And the train wrecks we cause that uro ends up managing.

I follow my prostate guys at least yearly even long term, but there is a lot of stuff long term I bet we (rad onc) don't see that uro does.

Reactions: 3 users
I can highly recommend this paper:

I don't have full text access, but this abstract says "SBRT target defined by MRI." DOes that imply SBRT target is GTV and no whole prostate?

I have treated 23 patients for failure either post brachy or post XRT over the past 8 years.
Good results overall. I would definitely biopsy. I treat the whole gland with standard fractionation.
Probably about 80 percent success, I usually combine with 3-6 months ADT and sometimes add nodal RT.

May get the energy to write it up someday....

• Hmm
I have treated 23 patients for failure either post brachy or post XRT over the past 8 years.
Good results overall. I would definitely biopsy. I treat the whole gland with standard fractionation.
Probably about 80 percent success, I usually combine with 3-6 months ADT and sometimes add nodal RT.

May get the energy to write it up someday....
So you're pumping like 160ish Gy into the pelvis?

Is it really 160 Gy to the normal tissues if you split the course over a decade or two? I get it though, not sure if I've seen any data for reirradiation of the prostate like that. Have heard of and seen an old series doing that for repeat whole breast rt after repeat lumpectomy

There is a early career attending that does a lot of brachy here for local relapses. I think he told me once he will target the recurrent lesion only if they had brachy up front, and if not then will treat the whole gland. I’m not in the GU group, so not up to date on any other specifics.

As for repeat whole breast, I think in the green journal there is a new series of ~50 patients with repeat (proton) RT to full dose. Fairly low toxicity across large areas to 110 Gy ish, but definitely apples and oranges here.

I don't reirradiate the nodal basins. Just sometimes radiate them along with the prostate. To date I have one patient with poor tolerance.

A long time ago I used to reimplant the entire gland with whichever isotope the patient had not had before. Pd103 v. I 125 so that we could differentiate the seeds on imaging. That was to nearly full dose with the duration of treatment being longer than SBRT fractionation. Had excellent tolerance doing that as well.

Iwwish we had more reirradiation data for various sites. Many of our tolerances were conceived in a past era and some of them have no actual clinical backing. We also don't really know what kind of recovery various tissues have over what period of time.

Reactions: 8 users
Iwwish we had more reirradiation data for various sites. Many of our tolerances were conceived in a past era and some of them have no actual clinical backing. We also don't really know what kind of recovery various tissues have over what period of time.
Certainly more utility than research cutting down fractions or eliminating RT altogether

Reactions: 4 users
Not really. Its understandable bias. For a lot of these guys urology won't get involved until they have an issue and hence their experience is biased towards the times it didn't work. Same for us and surgery for very high risk patients. A lot of them will do fine with surgery. We see them when they fail and our perception is not representative of the whole population.

I also think the key here is patient selection. Notice the first thing I asked about was LUTS. Then also said I would really need to look at the imaging to decide. There is very clear potential to cause a lot of problems if you are not careful. I personally wouldn't consider SBRT or brachy in someone in this situation who was already having issues. In that case, I think ADT would probably be the way to go.

If the disease was not systemically threatening, not sure how you can justify risks of full dose definitive treatment here.
I can see where you are coming from but I think perspective matters. For those of us who did this in training and then continue to do a fair bit of it in practice and have not seen the dreaded toxicities its a different equation. There are 3 predominant reasons other than systemic spread to consider treating the primary: chance of cure, preventing symptomatic progression (aka, outlet obstruction), and avoiding hormones. These are hard discussions that require a lot of nuances. If the patients main goal is preventing progression and they don't care about sexual function, ADT (or even continued observation) all the way. Hands down (can always radiate later if ADT isn't going well or they start showing evidence of castration resistance). Way more often than not I am trying to talk patients or referring providers OUT of doing anything too aggressive. But, if the patient is super anxious about having cancer and sex is super important to them then aggressive treatment to the primary may honestly give them the best chance at QOL that balances all of their concerns.

If after going through all of the options the patient opted to radiate the primary I would base the decision to do hormones or not on the same variables as the definitive setting judging the risk of systemic spread: absolute PSA, doubling time, GS, etc. We all know the normograms are probably not exact for these situations but still, if absolutely all of the traditional variables are low risk for distant disease at the time of treatment, I don't know what ADT would be adding other than side effects. If the biopsy showed GG4, that would be a different situation...

I also don't love focal therapy because in the definitive setting the overall message is that our current imaging is not adequate and in-gland control is modest. Reading these scans post-treatment is more, not less difficult. You really don't get a 3rd crack at it. A focal boost is not risk free and I personally feel like if you are going to use a "definitive" therapy, give it the best shot you can. GFunk said something similar in the last thread he linked above.

One last thing that is probably worth distinguishing. People always ask if I do a DIL boost. The answer is yes and no. I don't purposely do it in a prescribed way. That said, I am not going to do brachy if I don't think I can get adequate coverage of the GTV. What would be the point? I don't do MR/US fusions during treatment so I can't tell you the D90 to the GTV but that being said, I am very cognizant of what part of the prostate had disease and I would wager >90% of the time its probably >130% of the RX dose because of how I select patients. So while I am not formally contouring out the GTV and giving a prescribed DIL, in practice, they at least a modest DIL boost.

I can see where you are coming from but I think perspective matters. For those of us who did this in training and then continue to do a fair bit of it in practice and have not seen the dreaded toxicities its a different equation. There are 3 predominant reasons other than systemic spread to consider treating the primary: chance of cure, preventing symptomatic progression (aka, outlet obstruction), and avoiding hormones. These are hard discussions that require a lot of nuances. If the patients main goal is preventing progression and they don't care about sexual function, ADT (or even continued observation) all the way. Hands down (can always radiate later if ADT isn't going well or they start showing evidence of castration resistance). Way more often than not I am trying to talk patients or referring providers OUT of doing anything too aggressive. But, if the patient is super anxious about having cancer and sex is super important to them then aggressive treatment to the primary may honestly give them the best chance at QOL that balances all of their concerns.
This is a very well thought out answer on something about which you've obviously deeply pondered. Would like your insight on some wild guesses, but precise wild guesses. I will give my guesses. This is for the OP's case: a 78yo male ("with osteoporosis" but good PS) w/ T1c, PSA 6, Gl 3+4, 6 years ago, now PSA 5.6 PSA DT 11 months. I will assume he is symptom free right now, absolutely no problems from the recurrence. And his imaging shows no mets. With re-RT of 30 Gy (SABR), the odds IMHO for a group of such patients:

CHANCE OF CURE (PSA stays at 6 or less rest of his life? Is that cure here?): 20%; 25% w/ short course ADT
PREVENT SYMPTOMATIC PROGRESSION: 21%
AVOID HORMONES LONG TERM: 22%
RT NOW GIVES BETTER QOL 5Y FROM TODAY VS OBS: 5%
RT NOW GIVER BETTER CHANCES AT SEX 5Y FROM NOW VS OBS: <1%
(CHANCE HE'S SEXUALLY ACTIVE RIGHT NOW: 1%)
CHANCE HE HAS SYSTEMIC or NODAL or SV SPREAD RIGHT NOW: 50%

If I couldn't make a guess at these odds, I couldn't treat. My guesses make me not favor tx. But maybe my guesses are very bad.

Last edited:
This is a very well thought out answer on something about which you've obviously deeply pondered. Would like your insight on some wild guesses, but precise wild guesses. I will give my guesses. This is for the OP's case: a 78yo male ("with osteoporosis" but good PS) w/ T1c, PSA 6, Gl 3+4, 6 years ago, now PSA 5.6 PSA DT 11 months. I will assume he is symptom free right now, absolutely no problems from the recurrence. And his imaging shows no mets. With re-RT of 30 Gy (SABR), the odds IMHO for a group of such patients:

CHANCE OF CURE (PSA stays at 6 or less rest of his life? Is that cure here?): 20%; 25% w/ short course ADT

If I couldn't make a guess at these odds, I couldn't treat. My guesses make me not favor tx. But maybe my guesses are very bad.
Yeah, this is where it gets hard of course many of the guesses require a couple of additional guesses (like how long they are going to live, etc.) on their own. I could probably quip with a few but you are a far more tenacious debater than me so we are not going there LOL. Some are not guesses though. Chances they are sexually active right now are pretty much 0 or 100 for an individual patient. Are they mentally ok with observation (which frankly is a fine option)? But for most of the guesses, there are no easy answers to be found.

Yeah, this is where it gets hard of course many of the guesses require a couple of additional guesses (like how long they are going to live, etc.) on their own. I could probably quip with a few but you are a far more tenacious debater than me so we are not going there LOL. Some are not guesses though. Chances they are sexually active right now are pretty much 0 or 100 for an individual patient. Are they mentally ok with observation (which frankly is a fine option)? But for most of the guesses, there are no easy answers to be found.
Believe it or not didn't want to debate. Just wanted to know: am I too cynical? If someone else wants to treat, I say do it, especially if you have lots of experience. I do not.

Believe it or not didn't want to debate. Just wanted to know: am I too cynical? If someone else wants to treat, I say do it, especially if you have lots of experience. I do not.
I don’t want to sound like a hippie but no, you are not too cynical. In the absence of high quality data saying you should do X or Y there are really only a couple wrong answers: doing something you are extremely uncomfortable with and doing something the patient doesn’t really want/understand are very high on that list. You raised very legitimate questions with unclear answers and your conclusion is not unreasonable.

Interesting calculations!

If Re-RT will prevent hormones long term with a chance of 22% amd bearing in mind that this patient will probably "need" hormones within the next 5 years (DT is 11 months, so he should reach a PSA of 20 ng/ml in around 2 years, which is considered by some as a cutoff to initiate ADT in asymptomatic, non-metastatic patients), I believe that his chances of QoL improvement (by avoiding ADT in 22% of all cases with RT) are likely higher than 5% - simply by avoiding ADT.
They are probably around 15%, bearing in mind a 7% chance that Re-RT will decrease his QoL more than ADT.

Seeing a guy in his late 60's in average health, s/p RRP and adjuvant XRT (for SV invasion) 4500 cGy via 4-field box to pelvis with IMRT boost to bed to total dose 6840 cGy in another city ~12 years ago.

Now, PSA ~4. F-18 PET shows Uptake in bed along posterior bladder (which appears to be within the boost-field). Additionally, there are 3 total LNs, 1 presacral and 2 perirectal, that appear marginally covered in the pelvis field.

Uro start LHRH agonist and sent him to me.

Anyone treating? If so, how?

Seeing a guy in his late 60's in average health, s/p RRP and adjuvant XRT (for SV invasion) 4500 cGy via 4-field box to pelvis with IMRT boost to bed to total dose 6840 cGy in another city ~12 years ago.

Now, PSA ~4. F-18 PET shows Uptake in bed along posterior bladder (which appears to be within the boost-field). Additionally, there are 3 total LNs, 1 presacral and 2 perirectal, that appear marginally covered in the pelvis field.

I dont have a lot of confidence in these pets. Would definitely get MRI if you havent done so. What is status of PSMA avialabilityl?

I would consider treating, yes.

The site of the recurrence in the prostatic appears to be away from the bladder neck and anastomosis, the way it sounds.

You could SBRT all lesions. I would definetely not perform any elective treatment. MRI of the pelvis is mandatory to be certain especially about that near-bladder lesion.

I dont have a lot of confidence in these pets. Would definitely get MRI if you havent done so. What is status of PSMA avialabilityl?
This one was actually the most clear F-18 PET I've ever seen, but in general I agree. Definitely was going to get the MRI if I treat. PSMA not available anywhere within the area.

I was really just trying to get a sense of is re-treatment even reasonable in a guy with 3 LNs?

Does anyone have a good review reference for pitfalls of the novel prostate PET imaging tracers?

I don't have full text access, but this abstract says "SBRT target defined by MRI." Does that imply SBRT target is GTV and no whole prostate?
"At the second round, the experts’ pool reached consensus that the gross tumour volume (GTV) plus an adaptive margin should be considered as CTV."
:unsure::unsure::unsure:

I'm glad we can reach a consensus on these prostate retreatment cases.

Seriously, thanks for the wisdom and expertise. Fair number of these patients out there. A well designed trial would be nice.

At least I can chase down the info on this thread while I consider this patient over the next several months.

Interesting calculations!

If Re-RT will prevent hormones long term with a chance of 22% amd bearing in mind that this patient will probably "need" hormones within the next 5 years (DT is 11 months, so he should reach a PSA of 20 ng/ml in around 2 years, which is considered by some as a cutoff to initiate ADT in asymptomatic, non-metastatic patients), I believe that his chances of QoL improvement (by avoiding ADT in 22% of all cases with RT) are likely higher than 5% - simply by avoiding ADT.
They are probably around 15%, bearing in mind a 7% chance that Re-RT will decrease his QoL more than ADT.

What constraints are you using for the re-irradiation SBRT? Are you doing a plan-sum and do you have constraints when it comes to the total?

Great discussion/question. We typically do focal salvage HDR brachy for intraprostatic failures. 13.5Gy x 2 (2 implants) if far enough away from the urethra/rectum and 6Gy x 6 (2 implants) if hugging the urethra/rectum. I think after reading this thread I might increase the BED for perirectal/periurethral disease...

Would not be enthusiastic to re-irradiate either the primary or lymph nodes in this situation.

Great discussion otherwise. Lot of interesting points and interesting practices out there for this scenario. Fortunately I don't routinely deal with this.

Are people doing LDR salvage or HDR salvage only in 2021?