Prosthesis Prostate Treatment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone had experience with inflatable penile prostheses; patient is a 65 yo man unfav int risk PCa has a prosthesis with a balloon that is pushing on the bladder. Attached pictures, the balloon extends to the same axial plane as the superior part of the prostate. Any RT issues to be aware of with these, any reason SBRT might be an issue with this? Thanks for the input

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• penilepros1.jpg
    penilepros1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 38
  • penilepros2.jpg
    penilepros2.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 38
Ask the patient if he gets an erection everytime you turn the beam on.

Ok, sorry! I have treated one patient with something similar. Didn't have any issues.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone had experience with inflatable penile prostheses; patient is a 65 yo man unfav int risk PCa has a prosthesis with a balloon that is pushing on the bladder. Attached pictures, the balloon extends to the same axial plane as the superior part of the prostate. Any RT issues to be aware of with these, any reason SBRT might be an issue with this? Thanks for the input
No problem

Members don't see this ad :)
As a practical point to the young ones cases like this are good occasions to have your physicist do something like consider the air in the prosthesis and how it might affect dosimetry and do a special physics consult. That said, don’t shine an entrance beam through that big air pocket imho.

As a practical point to the young ones cases like this are good occasions to have your physicist do something like consider the air in the prosthesis and how it might affect dosimetry and do a special physics consult. That said, don’t shine an entrance beam through that big air pocket imho.

Theoretically shouldn't be much air in the prosthesis, as the goal in placement is to get rid of all air bubbles. they're filled with saline

Thanks. Admittedly, artificial penises are a real medical blind spot for me.

Speaking of unknowns, I always wondered how you guys manage XRT for superficial penile cancer, which is in our guidelines but rarely used.

Seems like you're aiming for a potentially moving target, like the scene from Zoolander.

Is there a stereotactic penis frame? Jus tell them to relax and think about baseball?

• Haha
Speaking of unknowns, I always wondered how you guys manage XRT for superficial penile cancer, which is in our guidelines but rarely used.

Seems like you're aiming for a potentially moving target, like the scene from Zoolander.

Is there a stereotactic penis frame? Jus tell them to relax and think about baseball?
Justin Timberlake has just the device

It’s actually similar to that

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

One of the best penis immobilizers is a foley cath, and then a simple device/clamp to situate the cath in space to make the penis reliably beamable. Otherwise tape and some homemade cardboard devices can work too.

One of the best penis immobilizers is a foley cath, and then a simple device/clamp to situate the cath in space to make the penis reliably beamable. Otherwise tape and some homemade cardboard devices can work too.
i use a popsicle stick

Are you talking about for simple photon EBRT? Cup of rice.

Heres a paper by Dr. Crook where they use a less whimsical approach that is similar. I wonder if dot decimal has made one.

Contemporary role of radiotherapy in the management of penile cancer

1666749218893.png

• Haha