PS and "their subjects" (basic science)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roinom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a lab in a specialty that works closely with the plastic guys, I work with the oncological surgeons (so I have been to the OR with them), and have been watching the PS guys doing reconstruction. I have enjoyed the reconstructive more than the tumor removing part of surgery. It's some real awesome skills these guys has in everything they do in regards to surgical technique.

I have talked some to them and they often emphasizes that they work with a lot of different specialties, doing a variety of procedures etc. Not so much about the pathologies for example.

Therefore, I came to think about how much they use their basic science knowledge and applies it in the daily routines? I know for fact they know a damn lot about wound healing and I guess they know their physiology behind burns for example.

It feels like anatomy and reconstruction (with all thinking and creativity that requires!) are their thing. How correct is this view?

Ps. I'm not implying plastic surgeons don't save lives, many of the procedures they do (in)directly save people's lives.

Members don't see this ad.

In an honest attempt to help make it easy for others to reply, I think it'd be interesting to hear what people here say but what is the question exactly?

I mean I'm in med school and I already know an OK amount of basic science, some clinicians who treat only pathology claim that I know more basic science than they remember b/c it starts to decline after Step 1 and you hit wards... Anyway everyone who's PRS at least got further than I am right now right? So... Are you just asking if "anatomy and reconstruction (with all thinking and creativity that requires!) are their thing" (vs not, I guess)?