PS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its an anal-retentive question, but do you think its ok to only put 1 space after a period? I know most people put 2 spaces after they finish the sentence, but I'm on the 5300 borderline, and would make it safely if i used only 1 space after a period in comparision to 2.

Thanks and sorry for being to uptight, I just want to submit this damn AMCAS application.

Members don't see this ad.

hahaha i worred about the same thing. i wound up cutting a sentence down anyway, so i was able to put 2 spaces after each sentence. it was drilled into me at a young age that you MUST put 2 after a period, so i got really nervous when i thought i might have to reduce it to 1 space.

it's like being so used to putting on a seatbelt, then getting into a car that doesn't have any and you freak out.

it's amazing how crazy this **** can make you.

I only put one space for my personal statement. I don't think it matters either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLAstudent said:
I only put one space for my personal statement. I don't think it matters either way.

So did I, even though I'm used to putting 2 normally. They teach that both ways are acceptable nowadays.

Thanks guys. I really felt stupid asking such a question, but I really needed to know cause I didnt want to cut out a sentence or anything.

Rugger, you are right this process can make you go crazy cause you just want everything to perfect.

Best of luck to everyone :D

By convention now, you're suppose to put only 1 space after a sentence. If you don't, the space looks abnormally large.

The reason why they use to do it is because sentences would look scrunched together on those old manual typewriters.

On a computer the characters are proportional; that is, they take up a proportional amount of space. So you no longer need extra spaces to separate the sentences

Lil'Bunny said:
By convention now, you're suppose to put only 1 space after a sentence. If you don't, the space looks abnormally large.

That is indeed correct. For both business formal and casual, you space one time after all punctuation, including the end of a sentence. Also, because the PS is a formal essay, you should press return to put one full line space between paragraphs rather than indenting the first line. Hope that helps!