Psych/Family Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frank l

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone doing this? I know there aren't a lot of these programs, are they hard to get into? Any info anyone has would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure of the competitiveness of Psych/FP ... so I'll just list the programs and the 2007 NRMP Match results

University of California (Davis) Health System Program
2 out of 2 matched

University of California (San Diego) Program
2 out of 2 matched

University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Program
1 out of 2 matched

National Capital Consortium Program (Andrews AFB, Maryland)
military match

University of Cincinnati Hospital Group Program
1 out of 1 matched

Case Western Reserve University - did not participate in the 2007 match

University of Oklahoma College of Medicine-Tulsa Program
0 out of 2 matched

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Medical Education Program
2 out of 2 matched

West Virginia University Program
0 out of 1 matched

I recently applied to both FM/psych and IM/psych programs. In general, they are not very competitive, with about as many applicants per year as there are spots. However, programs at more reputable institutions or in better locations are probably slightly more competitive, but I would guess still less competitive than internal medicine alone at these same institutions. Feel free to PM me with any more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure of the competitiveness of Psych/FP ... so I'll just list the programs and the 2007 NRMP Match results

University of California (Davis) Health System Program
2 out of 2 matched

University of California (San Diego) Program
2 out of 2 matched

University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Program
1 out of 2 matched

National Capital Consortium Program (Andrews AFB, Maryland)
military match

University of Cincinnati Hospital Group Program
1 out of 1 matched

Case Western Reserve University - did not participate in the 2007 match

University of Oklahoma College of Medicine-Tulsa Program
0 out of 2 matched

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Medical Education Program
2 out of 2 matched

West Virginia University Program
0 out of 1 matched

Pls give me the source for the open spots by residency programs for FP or FP/Psy, which I assume is the Post-scramble unfilled list, last updated in March?

Pls give me the source for the open spots by residency programs for FP or FP/Psy, which I assume is the Post-scramble unfilled list, last updated in March?

Source is the NRMP, and I think the list is pre-scramble (just lists of programs and how many matched into the program versus the "quota" that the nrmp had for that program) ... I don't know what the scramble situation is like, if all the programs filled or not post-scramble, or if any of the programs signed anyone outside the match

I realize that all kinds of doors are open after you finish a fm/psych double board, but what do people usually choose to do? Do most enter academia or do most practice in a community mental health center setting?

I realize that all kinds of doors are open after you finish a fm/psych double board, but what do people usually choose to do? Do most enter academia or do most practice in a community mental health center setting?

I have no idea what most people do. I want to return to the county I grew up in which is pretty rural. It doesn't really have any mental healthcare available and it has recently been getting short on family physicians as well. I am hoping to more or less split my time between the two.

I have no idea what most people do. I want to return to the county I grew up in which is pretty rural. It doesn't really have any mental healthcare available and it has recently been getting short on family physicians as well. I am hoping to more or less split my time between the two.

Perceptions and Practices of Graduates of Combined Family Medicine-Psychiatry Residency Programs: A Nationwide Survey

http://ap.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/31/4/297

CONCLUSIONS: Combined trained graduates felt well prepared for practice in both specialties but somewhat less comfortable providing integrated care. Most are in positions that underutilize their ability to integrate family medicine and psychiatry in one practice. Contributing factors may include limited preparation for integration during residency training and lack of integrated job opportunities. Enhancing combined residents' training in the provision of integrated services may optimize their utilization.

Combined Family Practice and Psychiatry Residency Training: A 10-Year Appraisal
Acad Psychiatry 2005 29: 416-418
http://ap.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/29/5/416