Psych fellowship for foreign MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TiffG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello. I couldn't find any threads regarding this so im not sure if it has already been answered or discussed. but any help will be greatly appreciated.

My friend is currently doing his residency training in Psych outside of the US and is planning on doing his fellowship here. so we were both wondering if he can train here without being board certified? and what are the usual requirements they need so he can train here? im currently studying for the steps so i have no idea yet regarding this.

thanks in advance for the help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Most likely not. Certain programs could make exceptions but they'd have to heavliy restructure the schedule for this person.

All fellowships, unless I'm wrong, are required to have the fellow do some clinical duties to be ACGME certified. The fellow would've had to have US requirements, and that would include doing residency to be able to do their clinical duties. Now there are exceptions. A fellowship may not be ACGME certified, and a program may buck the clinical requirement though I find this highly unlikely.

The bottom line is the program usually makes at least some of their money from the fellow doing clinical duties so I don't see why a program would do the tedioius and painful process of restructing themselves to not be ACGME certified to allow a fellow to train while not being able to generate $$.

I have some some exceptions here or there but they are extremely rare.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only example I know is of people who have done research fellowships, but in this case the fact that the person had a psych residency from overseas was not relevant, as they were able to get in on the basis of a science PhD anyway. But in terms of doing an ACGME accredited fellowship it is completely impossible - a fact that appears to be not as widely known as it should. Many people do residencies in their home countries with the hope of working in the US but it just not possible.

He should consider exploring his options in Canada.

technically it is possible in some states. this is more common in other specialties such as anesthesiology and some surgical specialties. in some states not even the USMLEs are required. I have not heard of any psychiatry fellowships that do accept overseas trained people but you never know. Note you would not be able to work in the US after however, not without having completed a US psychiatry residency and done the USMLEs. you would not be licensed so it would also depend on if the place were desperate enough to have someone not licensed.

I have it seen in rare cases in IM- a European doc doing a noncompetitive fellowship such as ID.

To the OP- it is possible to get training; but the foreign doc may not have official fellow status (he might have a junior faculty rank such as instructor).

Although it is possible, a university would likely do such an arrangement only for an exceptional doctor.

a university would likely do such an arrangement only for an exceptional doctor.

I've overheard a few discussions with my fellowship PD over switching the schedule around and it was a big big big pain in the butt. Factor that in with the reality that the fellowship may have several applicants where no switcheroos have to be done vs. getting in someone where major changes may have to be done.