Psych GRE- Please help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Summerstudying

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

So I have been reading forums nonstop since this happened, and was looking for any insight from anyone who has previously taken the psych GRE ?

I missed the registration deadline for the September exam by a day, and I have read other posts about standby testing , so that is definitely an option. However, I signed up for the October 29th exam, and they indicate that it can take up to five weeks to get the scores, and that grad schools can receive them as late as December 9th.

The deadline for grad school applications is December 1st, and to say I'm freaking out is an understatement!! Does anyone know whether or not these scores typically come sooner than the end of the five weeks, or whether receiving my psychology GRE scores late would essentially dismiss my application for grad programs?

Any feedback would be much appreciated! I am not sure whether I should aim for standby testing, or whether I will be okay writing it in December. The last thing I would want is to ruin my chances of acceptance into grad school because of such a stupid error.

Thank you so much in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, most programs I've seen don't actually require the psych subject test if you have a bachelor's degree in psych, though they still might "strongly recommend" it. So, it's not technically required and you could still apply to many programs, though you might be missing out if they did not receive your relatively high score on the exam.

That said, you might want to contact the specific programs to which you want to apply. They would be able to tell you if it's alright that they won't receive the scores until some time in December. Also, I think December 9th is not the date that they would receive the scores., but actually the mailing date when ETS sends out the scores to your selected programs. So, they'd receive them after that date.

Reactions: 1 user
For what it's worth, everyone who came stand-by to the psych gre got a seat on the day that I took it. It was April, so there may have been fewer people taking it to begin with, but I have heard that stand-by chances are decent in general. If I were you, I'd probably try to go stand-by in September. If you miss it, you can just take it in October. If you make it, I think you can cancel your oct reservation and get a 50% refund (but I'd double check that). Not the greatest, but better than nothing and at least you'll have done everything you could to get your scores in on time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just email the director of clinical training and explain the situation. I've been a professor at two different PhD Clinical programs, and this would not be an issue at either. We'd just throw the score in when we got it, knowing that it would be a little late. It's fairly common to get pieces of an application after the deadline.

Agree with PsychPsyance here, I'm also a professor at a clinical PhD program and we see this kind of thing all the time. With a December 1st application, we often don't actually look at the files until a few weeks later (because all the information is being pulled together by staff), so honestly I probably wouldn't even notice. That said, we don't require the PsychGRE at my program, but I suspect that programs that do know full well that scores for the October test won't come until early December. It won't be make or break. Not to mention, both you and the schools will likely get the scores before December 1st anyway, ETS is just covering their butt.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for all your help, this really relieved a lot of the stress! I ended up calling the school's and they mirrored your advice about receiving the scores late (that it would not be a problem). However, I am going to try to do standby testing if possible to ensure I get the scores at an appropriate time. Thank you all so much again!

Last edited: