Psych GRE Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psycho732

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows what a good score would be for the Psych GREs in terms of getting into a doctorate program. I took It once a while ago and got a 590. I'm assuming I can do better considering I'm in a masters program and I've learned much more. Should I take it again??? I should probably do everything I possibly can to get into a program!

Members don't see this ad.

700 or the 80th percentile. Whichever is lower should be the bottom of where you are shooting for... obviously higher is better. I scored 690, which I figured was close enough (and considering that I am in a decent program I guess it was.)

Mark

Mark's right. Shoot for 700ish. The higher the better, but if you have a strong psych GPA it may make up for a weaker psych GRE score. Go onto the websites of the universities you are applying too and they should have averages of the psych gre scores for students admitted over the past 5 years. You'll get a sense of where you need to be.

With that being said, I got in with a 670.

Members don't see this ad :)
new member here!
i just got
my scores for the psych subject test - i got a 630.
is that good enough? i'm applying to pace, cw post, yeshiva, hoftra, st johns and rutgers. thanks for any help out there!

new member here!
i just got
is that good enough? i'm applying to pace, cw post, yeshiva, hoftra, st johns and rutgers. thanks for any help out there!

My guess would be that that would really depend on your other stats. A 630 is pretty weak (just above the 50th percentile, I'd guess, since the mean is supposed to be 600 but as I recall is usually a bit higher), so I would guess you'd need other strong points to make up for it. If you have some good research experience and strong cumulative and psychology GPAs and General GRE scores, though, with a wide range of psychology classes (or a major in psych), I doubt they're going to pay much attention to a low Psych GRE score. It'd probably just be viewed as a fluke. On the other hand, if you're near the mean on everything, I would guess you probably won't get in to most of those schools.

new member here!
i just got

How are your "regular" GRE's?

560 verbal, 680 quant, 4.5 AW
i have a 3.7 GPA in my current MA program, and i had a 3.4 cumulative in undergrad with a 3.6 psych GPA
i've done research assisting, a year-long internship at a therapeutic school, and i'm half way through another year-long externship at a local hospital's outpatient mental health clinic.
so what's the consensus - how's it looking for me?

Last edited:
560 verbal, 680 quant, 45 AW
i have a 3.7 GPA in my current MA program, and i had a 3.4 cumulative in undergrad with a 3.6 psych GPA
i've done research assisting, a year-long internship at a therapeutic school, and i'm half way through another year-long externship at a local hospital's outpatient mental health clinic.
so what's the consensus - how's it looking for me?

Which Rutgers program are you applying to? PhD or PsyD?

Which Rutgers program are you applying to? PhD or PsyD?

i'm applying to all psy.d. programs. i'm sure rutgers will be a long shot, but its my "reach" school =)
any pearls of wisdom, though? i could definitely use any/all the help i can get. this whole application process is a little overwhelming.

Rutgers Psyd will be a long shot given your GRE scores. However, it looks like you have good clinical experience. If you bring other things to your application -- writing a good essay, excellent recs, a rigorous undergrad/MA program -- it may be enough to get you past the initial cut. Your psych GRE is sort of low. Usually people in MA programs and a psych indergrad major manage scores closer to 700.

For the other psyd programs you mentioned, I think you should be competitive.

Good luck.:luck:

i'm applying to all psy.d. programs. i'm sure rutgers will be a long shot, but its my "reach" school =)
any pearls of wisdom, though? i could definitely use any/all the help i can get. this whole application process is a little overwhelming.

Rutgers is my "reach" school also but I am so desperately hoping to get past the first cut. I was just asking to see who would be possible competition :D

Peace.:cool:

I got a 650 on the Psychology subject test. According to the score charts in the ETS workbook, a 650 is the 82nd percentile. However, the official score report I received said I was in the 64th percentile. Does anyone have any insight into this disparity? Is the competition just getting more intense, or is the test getting easier?

I ask especially because I'm wondering how the score will be interpreted by schools. Are they looking at the score as a stand-alone, generally, or are they looking at it based on the percentile?

Based on this forum, I am considering retaking it, because my GPA is weak, and I want to make up for that. Any insight is much appreciated.

leahyhl: i got a 710 and it said 84th percentile. i would go with your score report, since people probably score differently from year to year (like if it was an easy test one year, a 700 wouldn't be as high a % as a 700 in a harder test year).

as far as how schools look at the subject test, i was told by a clinical student at my undergrad that they look at it more if your psych class grades are low. a 650 sounds fine to me, but i'm not on the admissions committee!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rutgers is my "reach" school also but I am so desperately hoping to get past the first cut. I was just asking to see who would be possible competition :D

Peace.:cool:

looks like we're in the same boat. good luck!

I got a 650 on the Psychology subject test. According to the score charts in the ETS workbook, a 650 is the 82nd percentile. However, the official score report I received said I was in the 64th percentile. Does anyone have any insight into this disparity? Is the competition just getting more intense, or is the test getting easier?

I ask especially because I'm wondering how the score will be interpreted by schools. Are they looking at the score as a stand-alone, generally, or are they looking at it based on the percentile?

Based on this forum, I am considering retaking it, because my GPA is weak, and I want to make up for that. Any insight is much appreciated.

According to the GRE website, the scaling is based on question difficulty, so theoretically, a 700 = 700 = 700 (although the corresponding raw scores may be different; e.g., 173 on Test Form A = 156 on B = 167 on C). Therefore, I suspect it may be due to a couple of things -- first, a testing effect (the mean scale score has risen consistently from year to year) as well as the possibility of competition actually becoming fiercer and/or schools organizing psych major coursework around the Psych GRE subject areas. The percentile rank does vary from year to year but, for instance, theoretically my 780 from this year would be equivalent to a 780 next year as well as 2 or 3 years ago. While it may be the 97th percentile this year and equal to the 99th ten years ago, the score is theoretically identical to any equal score from a previous or future year (the percentiles change b/c of who takes the test any given year).

I know this is focusing more on GRE scores, and it somewhat deals with it, but I was just curious on anyone's opinion willing to give.

I am taking the Psych GRE test in about a week, and most of my practice tests I have taken I get around a 690. I have my BS from a decent university (UCF, nothing crazy) and I am getting my masters from a less that reputable school. Sadly, I had to go to this said school due to money and other constraints. I currently have a 3.6 GPA overall yet I don't have any research expreince (I live in a sad town...) Just wondering, from anyone and everyones opinion... what real chances do I have to get into Colorado University of the clinical PhD program? I know "research expreince" is usually a must but I'm just curious.

Thanks.

I got a 740, I think it was in the 92nd percentile?

While I got accepted, and will be attending, a program that required it and so that made it worthwhile, no one ever mentioned my score. I wish it had more weight in admisssion decisions, but frankly, I think it's relatively unimportant.

I got a 740, I think it was in the 92nd percentile?

While I got accepted, and will be attending, a program that required it and so that made it worthwhile, no one ever mentioned my score. I wish it had more weight in admisssion decisions, but frankly, I think it's relatively unimportant.

While I cannot comment of Psy.D. programs, I would agree that the Psych GRE seems to be more of a formality for many Ph.D. programs. I only scored a 660 and have received multiple offers.

In general, don't get too hung up on one part of your application if the others seem very strong.

While I cannot comment of Psy.D. programs, I would agree that the Psych GRE seems to be more of a formality for many Ph.D. programs. I only scored a 660 and have received multiple offers.

In general, don't get too hung up on one part of your application if the others seem very strong.

Of the ~15 programs to which I applied to five years ago, none required the Psych GRE; thus, I would agree with you in many instances. Things might've changed between then and now, but I get the feeling they haven't.

I feel like if you have a good Psych GPA, 600+ is good enough, but 700+ is probably more ideal.

I feel like if you have a good Psych GPA, 600+ is good enough, but 700+ is probably more ideal.

I don't think it matters honestly. I got a 770 and nobody mentioned it (even at schools that required it, not only recommended taking it). They did mention my quantitative score though quite a lot.

I just got my GRE scores back and I took them twice. I took them the first time and got a 1210 (V-540, Q-670), then took them again a month later and got a 1360 (V-610, Q-750). I am planning on taking the psych subject test in a little over month and was wondering what score I need to get? I want to apply to some highly competitive clinical PhD programs.

Also, what are my chances on getting into most programs... I have a cumulative 3.72 GPA. I am a double major psychology (GPA 3.92) and neuroscience (GPA 3.83). I have research experience too.

Someone help me gauge what types of schools to apply to and where I will be able to get in!

Thanks!

I just got my GRE scores back and I took them twice. I took them the first time and got a 1210 (V-540, Q-670), then took them again a month later and got a 1360 (V-610, Q-750). I am planning on taking the psych subject test in a little over month and was wondering what score I need to get? I want to apply to some highly competitive clinical PhD programs.

Also, what are my chances on getting into most programs... I have a cumulative 3.72 GPA. I am a double major psychology (GPA 3.92) and neuroscience (GPA 3.83). I have research experience too.

Someone help me gauge what types of schools to apply to and where I will be able to get in!

Thanks!

Your GPA and GRE scores are just the tip of the iceberg. They will get you app looked at for many scores, but you need to have the whole package, research experience, LOR's, and your personal statement are huge parts of the equation.

Mark

PS - You want 700+ on the subject test.

Also, what are my chances on getting into most programs...

MOST programs? This is almost laughable. You'll be lucky/seriously qualified to get into HALF of the schools you apply to.

Thanks!

You might want to read over the WAMC thread for that.

I have a bachelors in microbiology,(3.8 GPA) but I want do master's in Psychology.

GRE psych test was one of the requirements as I don't have a bachelors degree in psychology.
I just got my score today, 640. Though i know its not a very good score,
but considering I did not have a psychology background,
what chances would this give me to get in a Masters program in psych?

I think everyone made a lot of good points in regards to the original post. I thought I would share my experience, hopefully it is helpful.

In my case, my verbal score was considerably low (520) in comparison to other applicants at the schools to which I applied. In contrast, my quantitative (690) and psychology (750) scores were in the competitive range. I had a BA and MS with a strong GPA, several years of clinical experience (approximately 4), several years of research experience (approximately 5), six posters, three publications, and solid letters of recommendation.

From my perspective, I thought I would be competitive despite having a low verbal score. Unfortunately, this was not the case. I struggled mightily to get to interviews. The feedback I received from my advisers, trusted professors, and the admissions committees I contacted was that my score on the verbal sub-test was an incredibly large obstacle. Essentially, it prevented me from making the cut for interviews, as many of the applicants in my year had very similar strengths, save they had much higher verbal scores (650+).

I do not believe that my psychology subject test did me any favors. In fact, many schools do not even require it. While it certainly did not hurt me, the verbal sub-test was what did me in. Part of my reasoning for pursuing a MS in the first place was that I have not performed that well on standardized tests of verbal aptitude. For example, I ran into the same problem with the SATs: Verbal 500 and Math 700. My verbal score got in my way when applying to colleges, amongst some other important factors (i.e., finances, distance from home, family). By attending an MS program, I thought I could address my weakness and display the ability to complete graduate level work.

While I gained acceptance to a program in the end and I am now on my way to internship, that one stupid test score was probably the largest obstacle I faced as a professional. This is quite sad and it still frustrates me. My suggestion to anyone, when it comes to standardized tests, is to do your best to address the weaker subject areas on the general test and worry less about the subject test. Studying for that test is much easier than for the general tests. If you are not in the competitive range in those domains, as far as the schools you are applying to, it will be more an impediment than the subject test.

700 +, for sure, if you want into a competitive program. It's not at all out of reach. I only spent a week studying, and got a 750. If your undergrad major was psych, then it really shouldn't be a problem. I found it quite easy, with the exception of some of the developmental stuff (which I never took, nor had much interest in, at the undergrad level). IMO, less than a 700 or maybe 650 looks bad when applying, since it speaks to your lack of breadth and diversity within the field, or at bear minimum, your inability to prepare for an exam.
my 0.02.