This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinda0812

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now my major is Bio Behavioral Health and I'm planning on getting a Psych minor I want to get a masters in psychology and I'm wondering if you can get a masters in psychology without a bachelors in psychology, and also if I can should I get a M.A. or a M.S. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You should ask this to the psychology forum, not the psychiatry forum.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought you were pre-med. if you're pre-med, don't. It's a waste of time. If you want to pursue psychology, go ask the psychologists. But you're going to want more than a masters to get anywhere with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I am premed I was just wondering. Why soupy think it's a waste of time?

How would it contribute to doing what you want to do? It puts a two year delay on staring medical school. It costs money. So that means more loans unless you're wealthy. I'm not sure why you'd seriously consider it. What goal do you have in mind and how does a masters in psychology serve that goal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In our field, a masters is usually seen as a stepping stone to get into a PhD program for most. I, personally, wouldn't recommend it as a standalone or adjunct to training in psychiatry. I don't think it gives you any additional marketable skill that is worth the 2 year time commitment. It won't give you the depth of therapy training that would be useful above and beyond a psychiatry residency, and it will most likely not give you any research skills. I don't see much use in a terminal masters unless you want to be a mid-level provider.

Reactions: 4 users
No I want to be a psychiatrist, I was wondering if the masters would be beneficial. Thanks again

Do you have an adviser? They would know all of this and can sometimes be quite helpful. Also career centers at universities sometimes have specialized guidance for certain specialties like medicine or law. But I would think most universities would have some sort of pre-med guidance/office even though pre-med itself is not a major.

I do have an adviser, but I prefer to get advice from people act silly in the field and medical school. A lot of times advisers don't know how things really work just how it works on paper. You get what I mean?