PSYCH TO BSN NEED ADVICE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Passnte4PH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MFT looking to go back get a BSN/MSN to become a psych np. Does anyone know if there are any programs that are BSN TO DNP in psych mental health nursing or if there were any combined bsn/msn programs in psych mental health nursing? Also, if I got a certificate in psych mental health nursing as opposed to a degree would it be regarded?

Also, are there any others who had a psych degree who took the nursing to psych np path? How do you find it now? If you have any advice it would be highly appreciated?

Members don't see this ad.

I was a psychology major who spent a lot of time preparing for a clinical psych PhD, but right when I was getting ready to apply I decided to become a psych NP instead. I am in the first year of my MSN in a direct entry psych NP program. There are many programs. Some offer a BSN, others do not. Some are MSN and others are DNP. I highly recommend going this route, due to the flexibility of the degree, high pay, and large number of jobs. You can have a career that combines teaching, clinical work, and research all with relative ease. Or you can just focus on one thing. Another thing I love is that I'm not boxed in and if I tire of psych, I can go back to school for ~1 year and do primary care, peds, midwifery, whatever. Or you can utilize a masters is nursing in the private sector as well (pharmaceutical companies love it, not that I personally would go that route), go into policy/advocacy, etc. What I'm trying to say is that it's an extremely dynamic field that has a lot of opportunities, especially if you're even halfway business savvy.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me. Also, you will find a lot more advice on allnurses.com (be warned, that site is about 50% garbage). The info on direct entry programs and psych NP programs is pretty useful, though.

A quick list of some well respected entry level PMHNP programs would be: Columbia, Yale, Penn, UCSF, OHSU, Seattle U, Boston College, Vanderbilt, U of Rochester, UIC, Northeastern U, MGH Institute, etc. You can look those up and read about the programs to get a better idea of where you might want to train.

This is not to say that nursing is all sunshine and daisies. There's a lot of BS to put up with, but fortunately as a psych np, you're pretty removed from a lot of it, especially once you get out of school. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user