PSYCHIATRIC TECHNICIAN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelissaB0314

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im currently a student in college studying psychology. However, I want to gain experience in the psychiatry field by becoming a psychiatric tech. Can anyone give me any online programs that where become certified to become one?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Im currently a student in college studying psychology. However, I want to gain experience in the psychiatry field by becoming a psychiatric tech. Can anyone give me any online programs that where become certified to become one?
Thank you

The job requires no special certifications.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on the hospital. I'm starting medical school in the fall and worked as a Therapeutic Assistant (essentially equivalent of psych tech) on an inpatient unit for the past 1.5 yrs. They required a bachelor's degree and some prior experience working with kids (I worked on the C&A floor, sure tat wouldn't be needed for other units).
It was overall an awesome experience, I recommend it. You'll learn a lot, see some extremely interesting cases and it's a great chance to network with psychiatrists on the unit.