Psychiatry intraining exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
when it will be conducted?

do PGY-1 need to get good scores in that?

Members don't see this ad.

when it will be conducted?

do PGY-1 need to get good scores in that?

Around October. Its called PRITE. You are not expected to get good scores. In fact, it is considered smart to get bad scores, so you can show improvement during subsequent years.;)

so you mean I should not bother much about that, just appear and face the exam and to know how it feels to me and I can mprove subsequently?

Members don't see this ad :)
Around October. Its called PRITE. You are not expected to get good scores. In fact, it is considered smart to get bad scores, so you can show improvement during subsequent years.;)

As a newbie intern, I was just joking with my colleagues about this. Hope you are serious. :)

Part of me thinks "who cares how I do as an intern" and the other half of me thinks "scoring in the bottom 1%ile would be really sad".

As a newbie intern, I was just joking with my colleagues about this. Hope you are serious. :)

Part of me thinks "who cares how I do as an intern" and the other half of me thinks "scoring in the bottom 1%ile would be really sad".

Quite serious, in fact. Don't study your intern year. Use it as a baseline to see where your knowledge base is.

The important thing really is that you show improvement as the years progress, and that in your final year you score in the range that predicts you'll pass your boards. (NO, it doesn't correlate exactly, but someone published a paper a couple years back showing that among residents who scored above xxx number on the PRITE, over 95% passed boards on first try, or something like that)

The top 20 percent have a very high rate and the bottom 20 percent have a low rate. The middle 60 are difficult to predict.

This is from Scully, not the paper.

If you haven't passed USMLE Step 3, study for that exam instead of the PRITE and don't even worry about the PRITE until then.

After you've passed Step 3, then don't worry about the PRITE. Worry about the written board exam. Trust me, while the PRITE covers the same material, the PRITE and the board exam are very different in the types of questions they answer. Many of the PRITE exam questions IMHO are poorly written compared to the board exam.

If you've ever taken an SAT prep course you know what I mean. The prep courses teach you to prepare for the actual exam. The board exam questions IMHO are better and you'll learn psychiatry better than studying the PRITE.

There is a caveat to this.

In certain programs, the program director can use the PRITE in ways they aren't supposed to use it. We used to get an email about who the top scorer was in each class and they got a gift certificate.

Is it right, no. But you have to know the atmosphere in your program to best answer the question you ask.

In certain programs, the program director can use the PRITE in ways they aren't supposed to use it. We used to get an email about who the top scorer was in each class and they got a gift certificate.

As a guy who's been the top scorer in his class each year so far, I'd sorta like a shout-out. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Good for you Billy.

I think the PRITE is helpful and honesty there were a lot of questions on the real boards that I could have sworn I had seen on the prite. But how many questions can they ask anyways, after a while it all starts to blur right?

My point isnt to diminish your achievement. I think people that do well on the PRITE are generally smart and usually, if they have good rapport, they are excellent psychiatrists. My point is that it should be used for what it is. Not by TDs to berate an entire class because they didn't all score above the 75th percentile.

No one at my program has really mentioned the PRITE, so I'm not sure how important it is here. I can say I haven't studied. At my med school program, they actually had PRITE-specific didactics, which we don't do here.

I've got to say I'm loving the PRITE this year because it gets me out of a IM long call.

I've got to say I'm loving the PRITE this year because it gets me out of a IM long call.

I had the same thing happen to me. It still brings back great memories. As if I won the freaking lottery or something.