Psychiatry program at Keck School of Medicine of USC? Any Insight?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlosc1dbz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I love psychiatry, and I am wondering if anyone has any insight to this program at USC. As it turns out, the location is only 15 minutes away from Pasadena which is where I used to live and would love to live once more. I was curious if anyone is currently in that program or has any experience with that program that could tell me a little bit about it.

And yes, I did search first before asking. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I went to med school there, and the intensity and diversity of the patient population is huge--pretty much unmatched by all except a few institutions in this country.

As far as resident life and the "insider" training experience, I can't comment, since I've never been a resident there. Also, the program leadership has changed since I was a med student, so even if I gleaned anything from the residents, it may not even be applicable anymore.

Hello, I love psychiatry, and I am wondering if anyone has any insight to this program at USC. As it turns out, the location is only 15 minutes away from Pasadena which is where I used to live and would love to live once more. I was curious if anyone is currently in that program or has any experience with that program that could tell me a little bit about it.

And yes, I did search first before asking. :)

Don't know anything about it except that a few years ago it did not fill in the Match.

-AT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know anything about it except that a few years ago it did not fill in the Match.

-AT.

That could be a good thing, but maybe can also be a bad thing, if people don't want to go there. Regardless of that, I am thinking about going to check out their program in about a month, since I will be in the area.

As far as the diverse population, do you guys think it would be a good idea to learn Japanese? There is a large Japanese population in Southern California. I know Spanish, and I am sure that will help.

That could be a good thing, but maybe can also be a bad thing, if people don't want to go there. Regardless of that, I am thinking about going to check out their program in about a month, since I will be in the area.

As far as the diverse population, do you guys think it would be a good idea to learn Japanese? There is a large Japanese population in Southern California. I know Spanish, and I am sure that will help.

The level of sophistication and fluency in Japanese required for psychotherapy (or even a worthwhile psychiatric interview) will take longer than your entire residency training.

The level of sophistication and fluency in Japanese required for psychotherapy (or even a worthwhile psychiatric interview) will take longer than your entire residency training.

Agreed. Furthermore, even if such a thing were possible, the size of the Japanese population in Southern California is not enough to make this a high-yield skill set. I'm not sure where you might have gotten the idea that this is a major ethnic/cultural/linguistic group in SoCal. They are far outnumbered by speakers of Chinese, Korean, or Vietnamese.

In any case, there is so much diversity out there, not one of us can possibly hope to master it all. I believe the best approach is to cultivate a general skill-set and attitude of cultural openness, which can be translated across encounters with individuals of all backgrounds. Oh, and know how to really use an interpreter well. (And to be clear, when I referred to a very diverse patient population at LAC+USC, I wasn't just referring to language...)

Anyway, if you are a fluent Spanish speaker (esp if you are a native speaker) that is the most valuable linguistic/cultural skill set you can have in SoCal. I am the only psychiatry resident in my year who has the skills to do psychiatry in Spanish...so as you can imagine, my caseload is overflowing, because the need is so great...

Agreed. Furthermore, even if such a thing were possible, the size of the Japanese population in Southern California is not enough to make this a high-yield skill set. I'm not sure where you might have gotten the idea that this is a major ethnic/cultural/linguistic group in SoCal. They are far outnumbered by speakers of Chinese, Korean, or Vietnamese.

In any case, there is so much diversity out there, not one of us can possibly hope to master it all. I believe the best approach is to cultivate a general skill-set and attitude of cultural openness, which can be translated across encounters with individuals of all backgrounds. Oh, and know how to really use an interpreter well. (And to be clear, when I referred to a very diverse patient population at LAC+USC, I wasn't just referring to language...)

Anyway, if you are a fluent Spanish speaker (esp if you are a native speaker) that is the most valuable linguistic/cultural skill set you can have in SoCal. I am the only psychiatry resident in my year who has the skills to do psychiatry in Spanish...so as you can imagine, my caseload is overflowing, because the need is so great...

You guys are absolutely right. It seems it would be more trouble than its worth. Thank you so much for the advise. I better get ready for the case loads.

I interviewed there about 4 years ago. The Patu's were taking over, and the rumor cooking was that they were really going to turn around the department. Per my own PD, they've really turned around their interview day as well. So I'd be optimistic.

Overall I'd suspect their department is a rising star in residency training. But I don't know anyone there.

15 minutes without traffic. with traffic, it could take hours! :(

I always wondered that about California residencies. Sometimes it takes me 2-3 hours to get from Pasadena to UCLA. So taking into account long internship hours, and then driving a few hours.....I might go crazy? Are California residents constantly late to work?

Imagine 80 hour work week, plus 5 days at 2-3 hour driving time. Ouch.

I get anywhere I need to in San Diego any time of day within 20 minutes. Except rush hour, where it's 30 minutes.

Could use a motorcycle to get places faster, and not worrying about traffic jams, but it seems that the risk might not be worth the time saved.....or would it (raises one eyebrow).

I get anywhere I need to in San Diego any time of day within 20 minutes. Except rush hour, where it's 30 minutes.

Jet packs don't count.

I just went from Encinitas to Downtown the other day in traffic and it took over an hour. Encinitas to Poway, with some mild traffic, regularly takes 45 minutes. What if I had to go way down south.

Jet packs don't count.

I just went from Encinitas to Downtown the other day in traffic and it took over an hour. Encinitas to Poway, with some mild traffic, regularly takes 45 minutes. What if I had to go way down south.

Fair point Majesty. I guess I was referring to San Diego the City, rather than San Diego County. The equivalent mileage in LA would take 3-4x the amount of time, is all I meant.