Psychiatry Residency Cartoons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member49

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If any of you want a laugh - thought you might enjoy some of my psychiatry cartoons - www.psychiatristintraining.wordpress.com
Just getting the site up and running so would love any thoughts. I am also trying to be careful not to be offensive so I figured honest feedback from strangers would be the best way to find out if it offends anyone :). I know my drawing ability is limited so no need to reinforce that though :laugh:.
Let me know what you think!

Members don't see this ad.

OK...I looked at all of them. I snorted once or twice, chuckled often, and guffawed twice. Some were REALLY prescient (I'm an EM attending - not Ψ - I also live in HI on O'ahu, but am moving back to the mainland next month). If that is a graphical representation of you, a cute blonde with a pony-tail works! (And it is good that you can display blonde hair in black and white.) I said, 11 years ago, that the only way to tell who lives on the unit, and who works on the unit, is who has a belt and shoelaces.

Your style is minimalist, so they're not cluttered, and are easily perceptible. I am not an artist, so I don't have a specific rec beyond what I'm guessing, but maybe lightly penciling out what's in the speech bubbles before ink might get the spacing a little better - a few times it seemed the words were spilling out of the bubbles. That was NOT the majority of the time, though - at all.

The one part that tickled me the most, though, was the crazy pt on the bus - "Hey dearie!"

My verdict? Keep going. I am going to return often to see what's new. I peripherally thought of Michelle Au's cartoons (mainly because you and she draw your 'a' the same way), but your style is much different. That is good.

From a patient's point of view I find them interesting, and definitely smile worthy, although there's a lot I can't relate to on an 'Oh yeah, that sounds familiar' type humour level. The one with the (I'm assuming meant to be obviously mentally ill) patient saying hello out the bus window was funny in an 'oh my god, do people actually do that' sort of a way (I get along really well with my Psychiatrist, but I can't imagine hanging my head out the bus window to say hi like that :eek:). Just one thing, I did find the type a little small to read, you might want to make it a point or 2 bigger.

If you're worried about offending the patient population at all, don't be. I find a good portion of people with mental illness, including myself, do use humour as a coping mechanism. So long as the humour has an element of truth that we can relate to, I'd say most of the time we're laughing along with you. Besides that it's your site, if people don't like it there's always this nifty little thing called the 'back button' :cool:

But anyway, yeah I thought they were good, I'll be checking back to read some more if you put them up. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, definitely keep them up. the text is a bit hard to read on the main page, but fine if you click the image.

laughed pretty hard at the chocolate dipped bar one...

I loved them! You have a distinct style, and I think the psychiatry resident type cartoons are quite accurate..I think I (cringing) recognized myself!... good fun... I may be in touch.

Mustaches, beards, poodles, wine..... This must be an East Coast psych resident.

In dis her South, we drink beer, grow dogs that eat dem poodles fer lunch, and sport facial hair durin huntin season. East coast Sichiertrists wouldent survive dern here.

I laughed. I also know a psychiatrist whose dog really looks just like that.

Thanks SO much for all the feedback and the views. I was a little worried I'd get some "you suck" comments but you have all been so lovely and I do very much appreciate the constructive feedback. I'm working on having the cartoons displayed bigger on the home page so you don't have to open the other page to view them better. As well, I will work on making my writing bigger and clearer.

Apolly - yes the cartoon character is loosely me :). I am coincidentally visiting Oahu next week - I love it there! I also do love Michelle Au's scutmonkey cartoons, she's hilarious.
Ceke - thanks for sharing a patient's perspective, that's what I was worried about. I work so hard to minimize mental health stigma, that I'd hate for someone to feel I was contributing in some way.
Blais, whole- glad you got a laugh! the grocery one is one of my favs too
splik - dont hesitate to send me a msg
Texas - you made me laugh, there is definitely a huge amount of male facial hair where I am!

Anyways, keep it coming. I've got some more "psych resident types" and 'things psych residents say" cartoons in the works.

I read them all; they're great! I think you do a great job of commenting without being offensive and of casting an eye to yourself as much as coworkers and patients. Very cool.

Ceke - thanks for sharing a patient's perspective, that's what I was worried about. I work so hard to minimize mental health stigma, that I'd hate for someone to feel I was contributing in some way.

You're welcome. I try not to post too much on here, not being a health professional and all, but you're cartoons were just too smile worthy not to comment. And thanks for being concerned about not propagating mental health stigma. :)

You're welcome. I try not to post too much on here, not being a health professional and all, but you're cartoons were just too smile worthy not to comment. And thanks for being concerned about not propagating mental health stigma. :)

Yay!

Thanks again for all the ongoing encouragement and views! I will keep going with it - there's just so much material in what we do haha!

These are HILARIOUS. Especially the one about the beards and sweater vests. Of the six men in my residency class, only one has failed to try to grow a beard during intern year (two others tried and the result was not a success). But our attendings have beards and sweaters very well represented too. The way you portray your dog is adorable, especially her facial expressions. I just emailed the link to your cartoons to my husband and parents. Thanks for the laugh! :)

:laugh: Wow, my first marriage proposal also came from a psych patient too. No joke. And those male residents with beards/goatees and sweater vests--they're definitely there in psych.
Keep up the great work!

These comics are totally awesome! And yes, totally reminds me of scutmonkeys, they're all very clever and I like the style you've settled on.