psychiatry talk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrGachet

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a psych grad student who does research mostly in a psychiatric setting. Sometimes at lunch I hang out with psychiatrists and these guys seem to live on psychiatry talk. Common sayings like "Thorazine shuffle" and "the walking wounded" or "we had to snow him" but also some more bizarre expressions that I could not figure out if my life depended on it. Are there books or articles or something that can help me decode these conversations? :) Or perhaps you can share with me some of the expression you typically use.

Members don't see this ad.

Not that I'm aware of. Some of it can be regional/institution as well. Though "snow him" seems fairly universal. Could be an interesting survey and paper, though. I'd talk to one of the many sociologists that study psychiatry and mental health. They'd probably know.

We half-jokingly use, "Bipolarline" as a general diagnosis for most 19-25 year old females who have been married for about 4 months presenting with SI shortly after an argument with the husband. Obviously, it's a jab at the many people who initially diagnose borderline PD as something in the bipolar spectrum. I'm not sure if this is used universally or what.

Can't really think of anything else at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily psych-specific, as I've heard Emergency room folk use it as much or more -

Drunkacidal (drunk and suicidal, with SI resolving once sober)
Methacidal (on meth, homicidal or suicidal when on it)
Other terms thrown around throughout medicine - "frequent flyer," "brittle [diabetic, bipolar, etc]."

Nothing beats "furricidal," after the annual furry convention downtown.

I didn't know what a "furry convention" was, based on the name I thought maybe it was a fetish for pubic hair. Then I looked it up on Wikipedia..

:eek:
and then
:laugh::laugh:

How do you people (psychiatrists) not laugh your arse off after hearing this stuff?? I need to work on my poker face I guess.

Whoever thinks psychiatry isn't fascinating should google "furry convention". In fact, it should be a sticky!!

I didn't know what a "furry convention" was, based on the name I thought maybe it was a fetish for pubic hair. Then I looked it up on Wikipedia..

:eek:
and then
:laugh::laugh:

How do you people (psychiatrists) not laugh your arse off after hearing this stuff?? I need to work on my poker face I guess.

Whoever thinks psychiatry isn't fascinating should google "furry convention". In fact, it should be a sticky!!

There are some things in psychiatry that just never quite make it into Kaplan & Sadock...:rolleyes: