Psychological-mindedness Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyche00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm interested in a list of psychological-minded programs. I know that most residency programs state that they are selecting candidates based on a 'holistic' perspective (in the job description), but I rarely see this being the case in real life. What programs would find value in a candidate that has exceptional proficiency/passion/performance in psychiatry but also has attempts, is an FMG, etc.
I felt my adult psych residency program had strong holistic outpatient psychotherapy training in 3rd and 4th year with almost no call and is IMG/FMG friendly. I was exposed to psychoanalytic psychotherapy. The program is competitive. The first two years are very strong inpatient years also with a wide variety of severe inpatient diagnoses and plenty of call. Not much therapy with the inpatient years due to todays health care climate. Overall I loved the program, though. I'll PM you.

I'm interested in a list of psychological-minded programs. I know that most residency programs state that they are selecting candidates based on a 'holistic' perspective (in the job description), but I rarely see this being the case in real life. What programs would find value in a candidate that has exceptional proficiency/passion/performance in psychiatry but also has attempts, is an FMG, etc.

So my psychologically-minded, you mean non-selective? Having passion is great, but one needs to be able to pass licensing and board exams to practice medicine. I admit this is a rude reply, but I don't think it's fair to categorize a program as being non psychologically-minded if they're uptight about things like multiple attempts and educational background.

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt my adult psych residency program had strong holistic outpatient psychotherapy training in 3rd and 4th year with almost no call and is IMG/FMG friendly. I was exposed to psychoanalytic psychotherapy. The program is competitive. The first two years are very strong inpatient years also with a wide variety of severe inpatient diagnoses and plenty of call. Not much therapy with the inpatient years due to todays health care climate. Overall I loved the program, though. I'll PM you.

-deleted

Last edited:
So my psychologically-minded, you mean non-selective? Having passion is great, but one needs to be able to pass licensing and board exams to practice medicine. I admit this is a rude reply, but I don't think it's fair to categorize a program as being non psychologically-minded if they're uptight about things like multiple attempts and educational background.

-deleted

Last edited:
Passed all my exams. And when I mean 'psychologically-minded', I mean a program that would find value in a candidate that has 10+years of experience and education in psychology and psychiatry with psych publications etc as well as a background in psychotherapy and psychopharm.

Of all the definitions of 'psychologically-minded' I have heard, this is certainly the most recent.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems like a strong resident with experience abroad in the field would be a very valuable asset to any program's roster. As long as you are friendly, work well with others, and can adapt your training to fit the expectations of being a resident.

One obvious thing that would separate you from your competition is that programs would be assured of your interest in psychiatry. And in your case dedication and achievement in it.