psychology masters to prepare for PHD in clinical psychology???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderboy123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an undergraduate degree cum laude in psychology from a solid psychology university. What could you recommend as masters programs to prepare me for a Phd in clinical psychology? Does counseling count for it?

Members don't see this ad.

I have an undergraduate degree cum laude in psychology from a solid psychology university. What could you recommend as masters programs to prepare me for a Phd in clinical psychology? Does counseling count for it?

A masters in psychology with a substantial research componet/requirement.

erg923,
I was looking at NYU Human Development & Social Intervention. What do you think ? thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad :)
erg923,
I was looking at NYU Human Development & Social Intervention. What do you think ? thank you for your time!

I dont have time to look over that program right now, but suffice to say a masters in *psychology* would be a good place to start, as opposed to other social science fields/diciplines.

The only reason to pursue an MA would be if your undergraduate record was less than stellar, and you want to somehow make up for that. You won't find funding for an MA -- something to consider -- whereas nearly any PhD programme will fund you.

The only reason to pursue an MA would be if your undergraduate record was less than stellar, and you want to somehow make up for that. You won't find funding for an MA -- something to consider -- whereas nearly any PhD programme will fund you.

There are a handful of fully funded Masters programs out there. People who go this route also sometimes simply need additional research experience and/or did not major in psychology and need the course background.