Psychology professional identity and relation to master's-level fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you were acting as a psychometrist? I don't think anyone has an issue with this given that many neuropsychologists utilize them in practice. The issue comes up with the push for unsupervised independent practice.

I'm not even sure that someone at the Master's level can legally access the materials we use in Neuropsych assessments without being a doctoral student. Those are mostly restricted test materials.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not even sure that someone at the Master's level can legally acces the materials we use in Neuropsych assessments without being a doctoral student. Those are mostly restricted test materials.

From the publisher's perspective, this can vary from one company to the next. Pearson, for example, doesn't explicitly restrict its highest-restriction measures solely to doctoral-level providers. Also, I don't know how much confidence I'd place in a for-profit company voluntarily going out of its way to restrict its customer base, even if they say they attempt to maintain test security.

Legally, it varies by state and licensing board. Some boards may say some masters-level providers are able to administer and interpret X, Y, or Z assessment measures under specific circumstances and/or with certain types of training. They sometimes also defer to the licensed provider to essentially monitor/regulate themselves. Again, the board is probably going to want to look out for the best interests of its professional members, which can mean attempting to expand scope of practice as much as possible.

In a hospital system, it can also depend on credentialing.

I'm not even sure that someone at the Master's level can legally access the materials we use in Neuropsych assessments without being a doctoral student. Those are mostly restricted test materials.

They can. In many states and from most (all?) publishers. Ethically, even, depending on their training and educational background.

Test publishers only half-heartedly enforce test restrictions. It'll come down more to the state level. Some of the more stringent states have you list your competencies and you have to justify that competency given your educational background. If you practice outside of those competencies, you can lose your license and your organization can be warned and fined.

Reactions: 1 user