PsyD experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brians

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been applying to a few PsyD programs but it seems like they want me to have more experience. I was just wondering how I can find jobs that will look good on my applications. I'm not interested in research, something that would look good for a clinical program would be good. Now that I have another year untill I go back to school, i will need a full time job that pays. I'm in NY and its not cheap. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.... Brian

Members don't see this ad.

hey brian,

i'm in the same boat as yourself, just on opposite coasts - i'm currently considering applying to alliant/cspp's psyd program out here for the fall of 2005, and am in the process of searching for some more psych-related experience to both boost my application and confirm that this is indeed what i want to do. i'm currently holding down a full-time job myself, but from reading this board and other psych forums/articles it seems to be possible to at least get some experience by way of volunteer work - you might want to look into local counseling centers, crisis hotlines, social services organizations, big brother programs and groups of that nature? some of those suggestions are more psych-related than others, but demonstrating a commitment to helping others seems like it could only be a good idea.

check out the site below for starters, and i'm curious to hear what others on this board suggest as well. any other mature students out there who have been, are in a similar position? any suggestions as to something someone who's no longer affiliated with a university or a psych program might be able to do to get clinical or psych research experience?

i hope that's of some help!

http://www.volunteermatch.org

Depending on your interests, do ABA, distress line (make sure you get training there), call children's services and ask if they have placements for people like you...

You could also do case management with a social service agency. Or a psych tech at a mental health hospital/facility. Crisis counselor, hotlines, therapeutic support staff (TSS).....research assistant.....there are so many options.