Psychology PsyD Interview Prep Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hi, I have an interview coming up for a PsyD Clinical Psychology program. There is a group component and an individual interview. Looking for any advice or insight on what type of questions to prepare for and what to expect for the group portion.

I am additionally looking for suggestions on what to wear. I was told business casual and am conflicted between dressing like a psychologist would or simple black suit, white, shirt hair back short heels.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree with the advice above to look up general interview questions (and, if you can find them, general interview questions for doctoral programs) and have answers prepared. It's been a while since I've directly participated in doctoral program interviews, and all my experiences were with Ph.D. applicants where there was a focus on factors such as: what are your practice and research interests? Why have you applied to work with Dr. X/what about Dr. X's work did you find interesting? And the like. I'd be surprised if there weren't some variant of, "so what drew you to clinical psychology?" I have no idea about this program, or Psy.D. programs in general, but perhaps they would ask why you've applied to a Psy.D. instead of a Ph.D. program, or at the very least, what about their program attracted you.

As for attire, I wouldn't stress too much, but would recommend toward the business professional end. I'm also not sure what, "dressing like a psychologist would" means specifically, as psychologist attire can vary just as much as any other professional group (e.g., I've seen the full spectrum--from shorts and sandals to suits). If I recall correctly, mostly applicants back when I was involved in interviewing wore suits, which I think (it's been a while) I did as well.

I would agree with the advice above to look up general interview questions (and, if you can find them, general interview questions for doctoral programs) and have answers prepared. It's been a while since I've directly participated in doctoral program interviews, and all my experiences were with Ph.D. applicants where there was a focus on factors such as: what are your practice and research interests? Why have you applied to work with Dr. X/what about Dr. X's work did you find interesting? And the like. I'd be surprised if there weren't some variant of, "so what drew you to clinical psychology?" I have no idea about this program, or Psy.D. programs in general, but perhaps they would ask why you've applied to a Psy.D. instead of a Ph.D. program, or at the very least, what about their program attracted you.

As for attire, I wouldn't stress too much, but would recommend toward the business professional end. I'm also not sure what, "dressing like a psychologist would" means specifically, as psychologist attire can vary just as much as any other professional group (e.g., I've seen the full spectrum--from shorts and sandals to suits). If I recall correctly, mostly applicants back when I was involved in interviewing wore suits, which I think (it's been a while) I did as well.
Agree with this. Sometimes online you can even find questions for certain programs. The main thing IMO is to know talking points, but do not memorize a script. It comes off weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.