PT Aide: experience required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vinganca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Still musing on applying for a PT Aide position, and am curious-- those of you who have worked as an aide, what sort of background/related experience did you have when you got hired? How much/what kind of background did they expect aides to have?

I figure it's always worth a shot, but my degree isn't in anything remotely related to physical rehab, and I've never worked as an aide or held any similar position before.

Do most outpatient clinics expect you to have majored in exercise science/kinesio, and/or have worked in a similar position before? Or do they generally offer training on the job and accept pre-PT students with no previous experience in rehab?

Members don't see this ad.

Still musing on applying for a PT Aide position, and am curious-- those of you who have worked as an aide, what sort of background/related experience did you have when you got hired? How much/what kind of background did they expect aides to have?

I figure it's always worth a shot, but my degree isn't in anything remotely related to physical rehab, and I've never worked as an aide or held any similar position before.

Do most outpatient clinics expect you to have majored in exercise science/kinesio, and/or have worked in a similar position before? Or do they generally offer training on the job and accept pre-PT students with no previous experience in rehab?

I walked into a bunch of outpatient clinics with a resume' as a college sophomore with no experience whatsoever. I told them I was looking for an aide position and was willing to train to do whatever they needed. I was a biology pre-pt major, but had only really taken a handful of relevant classes. I just told them i'd do whatever it took.

I got 2 calls back within a week, both offering me jobs. The one I accepted required me to train for a month, unpaid and then they said they'd make a decision if they wanted to hire me. It was risky, but since i needed experience hours anyway, i did it. a month later, i was getting paid. Its been 2 years since then and I still work there.

I say just go in and ask if they are hiring or could use any help. Say you'll wash down beds, answer phones, or do laundry. Eventually they'll let you do the fun stuff, like modalities and helping patients with exercises :) I can honestly say this job solidified my desire to be in this field without a doubt.

Hope that helps. Message me if you have any more questions.

PTstudent summed it up pretty well. Although your major isn't in anything related to rehab, if you show them strong interest in the field and in pursuing physical therapy school it shouldn't be a problem.

Stop musing and take some action; you won't know until you try. Search craigslist, job listings, and any sources you have. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I walked into the clinic and handed them my resume as a senior in high school. I am studying athletic training and have no interest in PT, but I am interestd in rehabilitation. I've worked for the clinic off and on since 2007 when I am home on breaks and such..

I have worked as a PT Aide at a private outpatient pt clinic. They required a bachelors degree, they wanted someone who had an interest in physical therapy/was applying to PT school, preferred someone with a background in exercise, ability to multitask, good customer service skills, good communication skills. I searched for PT jobs for a while and most positions did not require the bachelors degree but did want someone who was interested in PT.

They provided on the job training teaching use of modalities, their exercise and stretch terminology, and how they wanted the different movements performed. Many clinics may use the same or similar stretches/exercises but it seems like many use different nomenclature. For example, even pt's within the clinic referred to a simple stretch like calf stretch as different things. It was very helpful having some pre-existing exercise knowledge so that you could tell how certain movements are often misdone, like someone raising their arm during a bicep curl when they should only be moving below the elbow. The experience was very very valuable for me when it came time to write essays and do interviews because you will have so much experience to draw from. I shadowed and volunteered as well but those experiences were not nearly as meaningful.

Last edited: