PT Newb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArkansasRanger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm kicking around the idea of physical therapy, and frankly I like what I'm seeing from the research I've done.

I know next to nothing about the process of admission, competitiveness, and so forth. I'm looking at two programs here in Arkansas, and they both award the DPT.

I have a B.S. and many of the prereqs often required, yet I lack some. If I choose this path then the time it takes to finish those up would also allow me to get some observation experience. It's abrupt, but I'm really looking at quitting my job :eek: towards the end of this year and enrolling in the prereqs I need for something in January.

What can any of you share about this, and/or what would do you know now that you would have liked to have known when you first started down the path to become a PT?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the world of rehab! Before you begin to take the classes, I would recommend shadowing/observing asap. It is a commitment and you want to make sure it is what you want to do, especially as you are still researching what PT actually is.

It's a great field and it is competitive to get into school. In the end it's a very rewarding field with decent pay.

Some concerns that past and presnt PTs have brought up is the cost of tuition/loans vs the income. Do a search on this forum and you will see that this has been discussed frequently.

You will find a lot of helpful info on this forum so I think you came to the right place. Best I can tell you is to continue to browse this forum and read topics that interest you.

BTW, what made you look into PT in the first place?

Welcome to the world of rehab! Before you begin to take the classes, I would recommend shadowing/observing asap. It is a commitment and you want to make sure it is what you want to do, especially as you are still researching what PT actually is.

It's a great field and it is competitive to get into school. In the end it's a very rewarding field with decent pay.

Some concerns that past and presnt PTs have brought up is the cost of tuition/loans vs the income. Do a search on this forum and you will see that this has been discussed frequently.

You will find a lot of helpful info on this forum so I think you came to the right place. Best I can tell you is to continue to browse this forum and read topics that interest you.

BTW, what made you look into PT in the first place?

I was looking for a career in healthcare that provided an interesting curriculum, pleasant work environment, and a job that would let me move about, talk to people, and that type of thing. I wish I could say that the reason was solely to improve lives, and that type of thing but there are many occupations where one can help. However, the role does fulfill that so all the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took several of my pre-reqs online through a community college. It saved me a lot of time and as long as you get a good grade, it doesn't matter where/how you took the course.

I took several of my pre-reqs online through a community college. It saved me a lot of time and as long as you get a good grade, it doesn't matter where/how you took the course.

Yeah, I just can't find the types of prereqs that I need. Namely, how does one go about doing an online physics course with lab - or even more difficult two of them? If I could find it I'd do it. :confused:

Yea, you'll have to go to physics class. I couldn't find an online lab.

However I did take chem I w/ lab, statistics, A&PI w/ lab all online.

Do they really offer anatomy and physiology with lab all online?

Last edited:
I took several online pre-reqs through Wake Tech (chem, stats) and Durham Tech (A&PI) in North Carolina. Another community college in the state does even more classes online. My A&PII class was a hybrid - online class/ in person lab, but I think I did hear of a school that does it all online but they send you a cat or pig or something to dissect and I had no desire to have that in my house.

It's true though that you can find almost any course online if you look hard enough.

I took several online pre-reqs through Wake Tech (chem, stats) and Durham Tech (A&PI) in North Carolina. Another community college in the state does even more classes online. My A&PII class was a hybrid - online class/ in person lab, but I think I did hear of a school that does it all online but they send you a cat or pig or something to dissect and I had no desire to have that in my house.

It's true though that you can find almost any course online if you look hard enough.

Yeah, that's true. The only one I've never found and have looked for was physics. Thanks though.

I'm a senior at the University of Arkansas!

What is your B.S. in?

I'm a senior at the University of Arkansas!

What is your B.S. in?

Social studies. LOL :D

I got it six years ago at Southern Arkansas University. That was the degree that let me graduate early which was my only concern back then. I was a Mule Rider aka ass jockey. ;)

Last edited:
Hey ArkansasRanger. I took physics online through Eastern Oregon University with a lab component. Check out distance ed at eou.edu. They offer the full year sequence online (PHYS 201, 202 & 203 I believe), and they don't charge out of state tuition, as well. Good luck!

Hey ArkansasRanger. I took physics online through Eastern Oregon University with a lab component. Check out distance ed at eou.edu. They offer the full year sequence online (PHYS 201, 202 & 203 I believe), and they don't charge out of state tuition, as well. Good luck!

woo hoo thanks