PT or Audiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Key88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start my sophomore year of college. Up until recently I have been pretty set on pursuing a profession in physical therapy. I even switched my major this last semester from Biology to Kinesiology, specifically Motor Behavior, because the classes are more directed towards the pre-requisites for PT school.
However, recently family has been telling me that they can see me as an audiologist. This is especially emphasized by one of my relatives who is a Speech-language pathologist.

I am torn between the two now and unsure which way to lean.

Would it be very difficult to pursue Audiology if I am on the path towards PT especially since my school does not have a major in Communication Disorders as is typical of Audiology? I'm not even sure how I would go about doing that.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are unsure as to which route you would like to go, I would advise that you continue with your pre-PT studies. There are no pre-reqs specific to Audiology. There are, however, pre-reqs specific to PT. Keep all of your options open until you make up your mind. If you end up choosing audiology, your pre-PT training could give you a leg up in vestibular.

I am a 4th year AuD student and my husband is a DPT at a local childrens hospital. Both professions are great AND very different . I would advise you to shadow a PT and an audiologist for several days.

As far as pre-reqs. Each AuD school has different pre-reqs If you continue on the PT path you may have to take some extra courses if you decide to apply to AuD school.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
While your family knows your personality fairly well, it's important that you figure out what interests you most. I suggest observing a variety of different professionals (PT, Au.D., and even OT and speech) in different settings.