PT Prerequisite on PTCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beyoutiful_sunshine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've started filling my PTCAS application by entering my coursework and I'm confused as to what PTCAS considers a Biology I pre-requisite.
When I'm supposed to mention if a course is a PT pre-requisite, it says Biology I (Not botany or zoology) but at my school (Sam Houston State) those are the course a science major takes as their main biology when they start as a Freshman.

I've only taken 3 biology courses: Botany, Zoology, and Introduction to cell biology (all lower level biology courses). Am I supposed to not put anything as Biology I and II since in my case those classes are Botany and Zoology and it says "not botany or zoology"?

I'm just a little bit confused. I hope my question makes sense.

Members don't see this ad.

Botany definitely will NOT suffice for a Biology prerequisite. It probably depends on the specific programs you are applying to if zoology will count towards a prerequisite. I feel like most schools want general biology I and II, so I do not know if an introductory course satisfy those prerequisites. You would have to call your schools. I would probably think put introduction to cell biology as Biology I and Zoology for Biology II, but make sure with the PTCAS and the schools. Otherwise it may seem as if you need to take some Biology courses fast.

But the thing is that my school doesn't have such thing as "General Biology I" or "General Biology II", instead what every biology/science major has to take (in order) would be:

Lower level:
- General Botany
- General Zoology
- Intro to cell bio

Upper level:
- Genetics
- Micro
-etc etc

I know that I cannot put upper level courses as PT pre-requisites so the only thing I can choose from as lower levels Biology are botany, zoology, and intro to cells :/ Any other lower level biology course that I would take wouldn't be a biology for science major course.

3 of the 5 schools I'm applying to do not ask for biology pre-requisites and the other 2 just say "8 hours of biology for science majors" without any mention of zoology or botany.
But contacting PTCAS is a good idea, I should try that.

What happens if I don't have a course to fulfill one of PTCAS PT pre-requisite?

Members don't see this ad :)
But the thing is that my school doesn't have such thing as "General Biology I" or "General Biology II", instead what every biology/science major has to take (in order) would be:

Lower level:
- General Botany
- General Zoology
- Intro to cell bio

Upper level:
- Genetics
- Micro
-etc etc

I know that I cannot put upper level courses as PT pre-requisites so the only thing I can choose from as lower levels Biology are botany, zoology, and intro to cells :/ Any other lower level biology course that I would take wouldn't be a biology for science major course.

3 of the 5 schools I'm applying to do not ask for biology pre-requisites and the other 2 just say "8 hours of biology for science majors" without any mention of zoology or botany.
But contacting PTCAS is a good idea, I should try that.

What happens if I don't have a course to fulfill one of PTCAS PT pre-requisite?

You may be on hold for a while but if you want to contact PTCAS you're best off doing so by phone. When you email you often end up with a generic response that is copied word for word out of their application manual. I also wouldn't rely solely on what they say. Whether or not a course is accepted as a prerequisite is really at the discretion of the individual schools so you may be better off contacting them directly.

I agree with the above posts, I would contact PTCAS as soon as possible. I attend Texas Tech and Intro to Cell Biology transfers as Biology I here so I would check how your classes transfer if your school has a transfer equivalency calculator.

Thank you for the info! That's very helpful! I will give PTCAS first thing tomorrow morning

@InspiredPT_2020, what transfers as Biology II for you?
And how did you find out that your intro to cell transferred as biology I?

We have a transfer calculator that lets us see how each class transfers from different institutions, say if you take a class from a community college or transfer from another university. I am not sure what transfers as Biology II as I took a General Biology II class.