PT settings for introverts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureHealthCareWorker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm a fairly shy person and was wondering if you guys know what PT settings are good for introverts. I like social interaction but sometimes I get nervous talking to people and I'm also afraid that will hinder my growth while being in PT school and my future as a PT. Any advice??

Members don't see this ad.

PT is a very social job and if you're going to be a good physical therapist you're going to have to be able to speak with your patients and develop a relationship with them.

Now when my mother decided she wanted to retire from PT she opened a clinic for animals. They make nowhere close to the same money but I guess that could be an option

Reactions: 1 users
Being shy is not synonymous with introversion. I am 110% introverted, however, I believe I will be a good PT because I like connecting with people and working with them 1-on-1. At the end of the day, though, I prefer "me" time.

Just because you're shy doesn't mean it's not something you can improve upon. I'd recommend finding ways to work on your speaking skills if you wish to pursue PT. Have you heard of Toastmasters? Perhaps something like that could help you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Practice makes perfect. Just talk to more people and your anxiety will go away eventually. But really PT is a very social field. Can you imagine being a therapist and being dead silent the entire time you're treating someone 1 on 1, that sound awkward as hell.

Assuming your social skills are fundamentally where they need to be, the only thing that's going to hinder your growth as a PT is avoidant behavior (looking for less social settings to try to avoid the stress of having to socialize with patients so intimately). Don't be afraid to run the gamut of settings and experiences before and during PT school and definitely don't avoid those uncomfortable situations; that's how you improve.

That said, once you're working, some settings are probably going to be less demanding for an introvert. Skilled nursing and neuro for example may have a greater proportion of less-than-loquacious patients than, say, outpatient ortho. But they are all still going to have plenty of patients who need your engagement, so don't neglect getting comfortable with those skills when you have the opportunity. As others in this thread have recommended, practice. Get a job in retail where you're constantly interacting with people for a while.

And I say that as someone with the same qualities and the same concerns. If I hadn't proven to myself and to my references that I could improve or effectively build relationships with patients during my observations, I wouldn't have entered this field. Also, here's some threads that helped me when I was looking into this:

Best Setting for Introverted Physical Therapist

Introverted PT?

Can quiet people succeed in PT?

Good luck OP

Honestly, just put yourself out there when you are doing your shadowing. I improved my interpersonal skill when I was shadowing the most because I forced myself or my supervising therapist introduced me to the patient which forced me to keep talking to them. Over a month of time, I got used to it and it was weird to NOT talk to them!

I am not a PT but when I was shadowing my favorite setting was at a skilled nursing facility. More 1-on-1 time with patients b.c. medicare billing only lets you overlap patients for a few minutes. It was a lot less hectic than volunteering at out patient PT places and I feel like I learned more. Wasn't watching the PT run around as much, it was more relaxed. But the PT's did interact with their coworkers more.

My friend is an introvert and she is a nurse, and there are lots of introverts who make it work. You'll be fine :)