PT Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Walk12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are several specialties out there for physical therapists, but I am looking for a little insight.

We do not obtain a specialty during school right? That is obtained through continuing education and done independently after having our degree and license is this correct?

Also, after my brief research online, aquatics does not appear to be an official specialty. Does anyone know if we learn about aquatic therapy during school? Or is this something that is also learned in continuing education and workshops? Is there a certification or anything to practice aquatic physical therapy or can any therapist do it?

Any insight on the topic of specialties and specifically AQUATICS is appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Aquatics will only be briefly covered in safety, basic pool therex, basic aquatic physics, precautions, contraindications, pool chemistry, temperature (for certain conditions), humidity control, transfers, transfer tools and of course documentation and reimbursements.

You're right. There is no specialty for aquatics. If you so desire to go into a setting that utilizes aquatic therapy extensively, then there are plenty of opportunities during your clinical rotations during school to choose a site that integrates aquatic therapy closely into their treatment plan (as appropriate). This will at least give you a good idea of aquatic therapy and give you some experience in it. Other than that, you really don't cover aquatic therapy too much in school, aside from what Azimuthal has written.

Specialty certifications are obtained after school, after a certain number of experience in that specific field. There are residency programs out there that help you to prepare for the exam, some programs ranging anywhere from 1-3 years.