PT Tech Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJHUSKERS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the summer off before PT school and it would be a lot more beneficial to work as a PT tech at a clinic or hospital than working brain dead job again. More than likely it would be part time, so it would be perfect because I am also doing some personal training.

My question is, how do you go about finding a PT tech job....can they be located on the internet, do I have to just call each clinic, or contact my old PT's that I observed with in the past? I live near Mayo Clinic and I would assume they're big enough to hire part time help..

How did you guys find PT tech jobs?

Members don't see this ad.

I found my job through craigslist. You can also try the employment section of hospital websites, but an out-patient practice might be your best bet for a part time job.

I found mine on craigslist, but I kept an eye out for over a year before I found one. If I were you I'd take a stack of resumes and personally visit every clinic in the area. You never know - you may walk in right when someone is taking maternity leave or needs to cut down on hours for summer childcare, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the hardest hurdle you will have is that you will only be available for the summer. However, I'm sure there will be places looking for summertime help. The sooner you get your resume out, the better. Outside of scouring newspapers and job sites, I would get your resume ready and send to hospitals and clinics that you would want to work at and send to the person directly in charge of hiring rehab staff (your resume can always easily be lost in HR). Maybe send your resume to some of the PTs and hopefully they will forward to the right person.

The hard thing about places like the Mayo Clinic and other hospitals is that they only have limited number of techs/aides on staff. So most PT helpers are volunteers.

Best bet is outpatient ortho clinics as their turnover of techs are usually high.

I tried to apply for PT tech/aide jobs my summer before PT school as well. Emailed a bunch of posters on craigslist but didn't hear back from any of them. I think they were looking for more long term people. Hopefully you'll be able to find something though!

Thanks guys. Found 2 in my area via craigslist. Already sent them my cover letter/resume, but I'm guessing they want someone who is long term like you guys have mentioned.

If I don't get anything, do you guys recommend to keep doing more volunteer/observation before PT school just to simply gain more experience and knowledge? Or don't worry about?

If you want more experience in a certain setting or population of patients, it may be good to volunteer more. But I just had the whole summer for me which was relaxing and nice. School is going to cut back time for yourself in terms of your hobbies, hanging with friends, etc., so unless you have nothing you want to do this summer and will be super bored, I'd just chill before school.

I searched craigslist and went to each Hospitals website and looked under their rehabilitation jobs. If you show them that PT is what you want to do with your life, people are usually really excited for that and want to help you out, so use that as a selling point for yourself. Good luck and have a great summer.

i know this is an older post and i hope that you found a position! for others that are concerned about having a short amount of availability, i was just offered a position and will only be able to do it until january so don't get discouraged :xf: