PTA seeking DPT; Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JLoMien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a PTA for 10 years (I'm 33 yo) and have worked 9 of them at the same facility. There is no opportunities for growth unless I become a DPT! This is quiet frustrating. I absolutely love the field of Physical Therapy and want to be able to do more with my career. I'm 2 classes away from completing my prereqs for applying for DPT programs and have a BS in Sport and Fitness Management. My question is do you think it is worth it to pursue my DPT or maybe look at other options of growth?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Save as much as you can now and plan your finances accordingly. Seek out any education programs your current employer may have. Find the best fit and most affordable schools. Apply and you're set.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go for it! You have another ~20 yrs of work ahead of so think about earning potential, advancement, autonomy, etc... If there is nothing local for you then look into Univ of Findlay. It has a PTA to PT program on weekends meeting 2x/month, so you can continue to work as you complete DPT. Also Univ. of St. Augustine has a weekend program meeting 2x/ month too. Good luck!

Wow, thanks for the responses. I've been reading other forums on this topic and am enjoying the advice others have given. I am going to go ahead with it.

are all of your pre-req classes within 5 years? some schools have a time limit for course work

Best of luck!

Congrats on your decision and best of luck to you!! Any idea where you'd like to apply?