PTA vs exercise science as a terminal degree, career options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

movershaker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've used this forum during my own school program, and am coming back to ask a question related to my fiance's career path.

He is currently an LMT working in rehabilitation with a chiropractor. He was interested in being a physical therapist, but has had a reality check that he doesn't want to do that much school. He has an AA right now in physical education (doesn't want to be a teacher, just the closest major that was available).

He is considering getting a bachelor's in Exercise Science and a CSCS (strength & conditioning cert). He is excited about the possibility of working with athletes and having more variety/freedom than option 2, going for the physical therapy assistant associates and license. He is afraid this will become rote work, however on the other hand he is concerned he will put the effort into the ES degree and it could possibly not pay off. We searched job ads from both angles and there is obviously a lot more open for PTAs, plus many ES jobs say Master's preferred.

Is he shooting himself in the foot with the ES degree? Can someone with a bachelor's and not a Master's find work? Is PTA boring?? Thanks very much all!! Your expertise is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I think I can tackle this one....I have an exercise science degree (masters) and the market is pretty slim pickings. The thing that makes it difficult is there are no set jobs to do. Ie a defined space to work. That flexibility might be nice if the economy was strong but it's still a bit soft.

I currently work as a personal trainer and group exercise instructor. I love what I do but the hours and pay are inconsistent. I cannot work as a PTA with my background and my me it wasn't worth 2 years of school to go the PTA route (similar Salary to personal trainers but consistent hours).

Other possibilities for work are corporate fitness (requires masters and ACSM certification usually).

As far as working with athletes....that is extremely tough to do. If you have specialized sport experience you can become a coach. The trainers working with college teams and pro teams are usually former college/pro athletes who transition to the training side. And in that case they often don't have an exercise science bachelors (just a personal training certificate).

I have also taught at a local college which was a decent job but that requires a masters too but usually a doctorate.

I would hesitate to recommend exercise science as a degree to anyone without a super defined idea of what they are doing with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently work as a personal trainer and group exercise instructor. I love what I do but the hours and pay are inconsistent...Other possibilities for work are corporate fitness (requires masters and ACSM certification usually).

Definitely take the PTA route. It's a much more established profession. It costs <$10k to become one, you work under the supervision of a licensed PT, you have a defined scope of practice, you make decent money, and you can work in multiple settings. DO NOT become a personal trainer. Exercise science as a major is a total waste. While it might sound appealing to those who have an interest in rehab and performance enhancement, listen to starrsgirl. It's not worth anything except the bachelor's degree you earn.

As for corporate fitness, that industry is unforgiving and requires slave-like devotion to whatever gym you work at. Stay away.

Reactions: 1 user
I would never advise someone to go the exercise science route. Waste if time and money.

I am a licensed PTA and have been practicing for almost 5 years, I make 75000 only full time/ yr... With prn I make up to 90000. Exercise science is a waste of time!

I am a licensed PTA and have been practicing for almost 5 years, I make 75000 only full time/ yr... With prn I make up to 90000. Exercise science is a waste of time!

Why would you invest into a DPT, just to make almost the same amount?

If he wants to work with college sports teams and work with athletes then instead of going for exercise science, go back to school for athletic training and become an ATC

I have a bachelor's in exercise physiology & most of the employers in my area preferred applicants with a masters degree. The only position I had as an exercise Physiologist was low paying & inconvenient hours. I've interned & worked in PT clinics & a Rehab hospital where PTA's earned much more & had very consistent hours. I met one PTA who worked at an outpatient sports orthopedic clinic who treated athletes & weekend warriors. I also met an exercise Physiologist who had a masters degree & 10 years experience & was going back to school to get a masters in nutrition Bc of his dissatisfaction with the job market. If I were your fiancé I'd take the route of a PTA.

Ok so the only thing I would say about PTA....and it could be regional....is many of the PTAs I shadowed with (they were completing clinicals) are still without consistent jobs. The market is very flooded where I live (Midwest). There are def rural opportunities but less urban it seems like. (Again just purely my observation of the PTAs I worked with).

Why would you invest into a DPT, just to make almost the same amount?

DPT education is still way too expensive. You can become a PTA for <$10k while becoming a DPT costs anywhere from $50k-$100k. However, I think the upward potential for DPTs is still greater, you can own your own practice, and you can actually perform an examination.

Is it worth the extra expense to become a DPT? Obviously both you and I thought so.

DPT education is still way too expensive. You can become a PTA for <$10k while becoming a DPT costs anywhere from $50k-$100k. However, I think the upward potential for DPTs is still greater, you can own your own practice, and you can actually perform an examination.

Is it worth the extra expense to become a DPT? Obviously both you and I thought so.

The thing is, in the CA SF Bay Area, PTA's cap out at ~55k. If you're making $75-90k as a PTA, I would have put some thought into it because the average of a PT is hovering around $85k with 5-10 years experience.

I guess I asked more out of skepticism.

The thing is, in the CA SF Bay Area, PTA's cap out at ~55k. If you're making $75-90k as a PTA, I would have put some thought into it because the average of a PT is hovering around $85k with 5-10 years experience.

I guess I asked more out of skepticism.

$55k in the SF Bay Area will allow you to live in a studio apartment 30 miles from where you work. You'll probably take the bus to work and eat a bowl of rice for dinner.

Thanks for those links, atstudent. For every Eric Cressey out there, there are probably 1,000 broke personal trainers, exercises scientists, or kinesiologists out there.

There are a lot of useless bachelors out there, and sadly exercise science is one of them. Heck, my biology degree is useless too. I like to call them transitional degrees bc they act like stepping stones to get you to your destination degree- the one that will get you a job. I would advise PTA for sure and if he really wants a bachelors, go with athletic training as mentioned before. If DPT is his goal, then it doesn't matter what he majors in- just get excellent grades and lots of exposure to the field.