Public Health Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cryingintheclub

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of ya'll in public health or who came to dentistry with intentions of removing barriers to care:

What do you think of the state of public health dentistry today - do you feel like FQHCs and other public health clinics adequately serve pts without insurance or income? Has the work been fulfilling, professionally and personally? Do you think that more can or should be done?

Members don't see this ad.

I have worked in public health dentistry to include Prison, FQHC, Military, Public Aid and County clinics. I will take a stab at addressing your questions.
  • Do you feel like FQHCs and other public health clinics adequately serve pts without insurance or income?
    • Yes, but at a “Basic” level of care, for those that get in. There are still lots of people not being cared for out there.
    • The system could be so much more efficient but political/governmental rules get in the way.
  • Has the work been fulfilling, professionally and personally?
    • Professionally: Yes, but there are limits to what one can do.
    • Personally: Yes!!!! I have been able to have a great life outside of dentistry because of my work in this area.
  • Do you think that more can or should be done?
    • Yes, much more can be done.
    • Should more be done? On the public dime? NO!!!! Somewhere along the line, personal responsibility has to come into play.

Reactions: 5 users
I think the answer to your questions depends on where you're talking about. FQHCs in states with medicaid that only covers filling and extractions aren't going to be able to provide as well-rounded care as FQHCs in states where dentures, root canals, and crowns are also covered. Also an urban area where there may be several FQHCs within say 10-15 miles and no wait list would be able to serve more people and be more efficient than a rural clinic that is drawing people from 100+ miles away and has a waitlist of several months.

Medicaid in my state is pretty good from the patient's standpoint as far is what is covered. So I feel like we are adequately serving that population, with a caveat that we can only serve those interested in our services.

Reactions: 1 user