Public Health Physicians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a typical day in the life of a physician who specializes in public health/preventive medicine after residency, in particular physicians who work on the government side of public health (for example the centers for disease contol and as well as the department of health)?

Members don't see this ad.

Bump...

This is interesting. I'm currently doing my MPH work and interested in being a physician- I would definitely like to know myself!

It depends. I know that's a vague response, but it really varies. A lot of work done at places like the CDC and WHO is primarily administrative work. You're not working with poor people in Africa or seeing patients. You're on computers writing policy briefs, evaluating health programs, making powerpoints, emailing people worldwide to forge partnerships, etc. So yea, it's office work done on computers, but it's what you do on the computers that's important [like if you're contacting health ministries in developing countries and helping them with their health programs, that's really meaningful work].