Public Service Announcement: It's HIPAA, not HIPPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lorelei

SDN Angel
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
HIPAA stands for Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

There is only one P.

That is all.

Members don't see this ad.

It is definitely and NOT definitaly.
I see this on here a lot and it should be more basic knowledge than the acronym for a law.

sign0098.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and it is

MCAT not MCATS, unless you have taken more then one MCAT.

And it is.........

AAMC test 7 and test 8, not 7R and 8R. The R only goes after revised tests such as 3-6. That's all.

And I still can't believe it's not butter!

smarter than not smarter then....

I can't believe it's not butter LITE!!! :p

gujuDoc said:
Oh and it is

MCAT not MCATS, unless you have taken more then one MCAT.

And it is.........

AAMC test 7 and test 8, not 7R and 8R. The R only goes after revised tests such as 3-6. That's all.

7R is a real test.

drinklord said:
7R is a real test.

Actually NO IT IS NOT. If you look on the AAMC website, it is called AAMC TEST 7.

TPR/Kaplan have it wrong and incorrectly mislabelled it.

Affect vs. Effect. Affect is a verb and never a noun. Effect is USUALLY a noun; you CAN use it as a verb in VERY specific cases, but chances are if you are using it as a verb, you're doing it incorrectly.

There is no D in privilege.

I have to admit; I'm guilty of writing it as "HIPPA." I work for an atty and everyone here spells it wrong. :laugh:

seilienne said:
Affect vs. Effect. Affect is a verb and never a noun. Effect is USUALLY a noun; you CAN use it as a verb in VERY specific cases, but chances are if you are using it as a verb, you're doing it incorrectly.

uh.. the organic chemistry book used in my class ALWAYS used effect where affect was appropriate. It was terrible, such an eyesore.

Members don't see this ad :)
seilienne said:

That reminds me of another one..........

Except vs. accept

I accept your generosity

vs.

I filled everything out except for the personal statement.

Your vs. You're

This is highly prevalent everywhere :(

seilienne said:

The affect vs. effect bugs me when I see people using the wrong one such as:

Which will effect my application?

what's the cause and affect?

What can we do to effect change in health care?

You can cause an effect . . .
You can effect a change in something. . .
You can affect SOMETHING.

You cannot cause an affect.
You cannot effect something.

bwells46 said:
What can we do to effect change in health care?

This one is correct :p
Basically reads: What can we do to bring about change in health care?

seilienne said:

Actually, affect can be a noun. Ever heard of a "flat affect" as a symptom in psych? It's pronounced differently, though - AFF-ekt.

hardy said:
This one is correct :p
Basically reads: What can we do to bring about change in health care?

LOL! :laugh:

You're right - I should probably think about these things before I post them.

bwells46 said:
LOL! :laugh:

You're right - I should probably think about these things before I post them.

That's why I am always very careful about correcting somebody. We all make mistakes, it's just when they get consistent that they are annoying. But this time I just couldn't help myself :D

lorelei said:
Actually, affect can be a noun. Ever heard of a "flat affect" as a symptom in psych? It's pronounced differently, though - AFF-ekt.

I stand corrected. Although, I think in this case it's short for or a stand-in for "affectation", which is a much more entertaining word.

More syllables = more fun!

hardy said:
Your vs. You're

This is highly prevalent everywhere :(

I hate this one!!!!!!

lorelei said:

One of my psych TAs hammered this into everyone's brain in her class.