Publication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MajorBubblez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm taking a gap year during which I'm involved in research. I've been working on a few projects, and I'm hopeful that by the end of the year I should have 5-7 publications out. However, I won't be first author on any of them, mostly third author with a few secondary authors thrown in. How will this be looked on by AMCAS, should I include it if I reapply next year? Is it worth including third author publications?

For what it's worth, I think that two of them are going to be in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you get on 5-7 publications in a single gap year of research as a premed (not to mention in high impact journals) you have found one hell of a PI. Absolutely include all of this on your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if humble-brag or naive and uninformed...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Not sure if humble-brag or naive and uninformed...

Based on the seemingly sincere expectation of 7 pubs I guessed the latter but I could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Based on the seemingly sincere expectation of 7 pubs I guessed the latter but I could be wrong.

7 pubs in one year is more likely than two pubs in NEJM in the same year, so yes, I'm going to go with hilarious naivete all around (or troll) . It's OK, though, peer review will do its job and crush the spirit.

I'm working R & D at a big research company and my boss (MD/PHD) with 500+ pubs was telling me he's aiming to get 20+ more out this year. He mentioned that I'll be working on them and should be able to get my name on quite a few of them. Sorry I'm not trolling, I've just never been involved in publication and although I'll be getting my name on the papers, I remember hearing back in college that if you're not a second or first author then it's not worth including it in AMCAS.

I'm working R & D at a big research company and my boss (MD/PHD) with 500+ pubs was telling me he's aiming to get 20+ more out this year. He mentioned that I'll be working on them and should be able to get my name on quite a few of them. Sorry I'm not trolling, I've just never been involved in publication and although I'll be getting my name on the papers, I remember hearing back in college that if you're not a second or first author then it's not worth including it in AMCAS.

I'm not too sure who told you this, but it is rare for an undergrad, let alone someone who just graduated to be a first or second author. To even have a publication is a feat in itself. I think it is okay to put publications on the AMCAS, even if you are not high on the totem pole for authorship. I would not know how to put such an amount of pubs on the activities list. If I were in your scenario, I would emphasize the first or second author publications with a column of its own. If they are third author or below, then I would make note of them in section where you mention your research. This will help show which projects you were a main player and which ones you played a supporting role.

Thanks IslandStyle. It's one of those things where I thought regardless of whether or not it's included on my AMCAS app, I could bring it up in interviews but again there's no guarantee of an interview.