Medical Publications - Coming across as nepotism/privilege if I worked with physician parent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I am lucky to have a physician parent and as such, have definitely had some advantages. I have always had a lot of interest in my parent's specialty and have had the opportunity to work on several studies with them. This has resulted in 3 (3rd author) pubs for me and 1 chapter in a book related to their specialty.

I should preface this by stating that my name was not just thrown on these publications, as I have contributed in an adequate capacity. However, I will admit that I only had a minor role in helping write the book chapter (editing, proofreading, revising), and probably won't include it on my application.

While I hold a genuine interest in these publications and am familiar with the details of the studies, I am worried that they will reflect negatively on me or even hurt my application as my parent is included in the authorship. I should add that I have several other research experiences that I have done independently of my parent, but only one of those experiences has led to poster presentations, while the others have not yielded any results.

Any advice would be appreciated on whether I can add these to my application and if so, will they still be viewed equally if I had done it with someone else?

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for joining us on SDN.

The rules regarding authorship are a bit more explicit so there probably won't be as much concern for peer reviewed articles where you have to sign an authorship attestation. In my opinion, I don't think this is a big issue

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.