Puerto Rico Pharmacist Salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently learned about the tax advantages of working in Puerto Rico.

Does anyone here know what the typical retail salary would be in PR?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently learned about the tax advantages of working in Puerto Rico.

Does anyone here know what the typical retail salary would be in PR?

Have you been to PR? Unless you plan on making enough money to build your own fortress I wouldn't recommend it.

I am getting some odd results from the salary sites. That is the reason I am asking about this. SOme sites are saying that a pharmacist salary there is 60k. Others are saying really high numbers in the 180k-240k range. I don't trust these results (240k would be nice, though!)

If you work for CVS, your salary is the same if you xfer to PR. They also have benefits including relocation bonuses and certain expenses like round trip tickets to mainland US... etc.
... last time I checked.

If you work for CVS, your salary is the same if you xfer to PR. They also have benefits including relocation bonuses and certain expenses like round trip tickets to mainland US... etc.
... last time I checked.

and I only assume unlimited OT since rphs are hard to find down there. I can probably make 250k+ down there easy with my base... but I don't speak spanish.

Lol, I know it is I guess it was a dumb question. I was thinking of that one dude on here from Texas that moved there (jax something) for a master's degree to become a pharmacist there so I didn't know if the requirements were different

I forget where Jax moved to, but it definitely wasn't Puerto Rico, it was an actual foreign country (I'm thinking Peru?)

Members don't see this ad :)
and I only assume unlimited OT since rphs are hard to find down there. I can probably make 250k+ down there easy with my base... but I don't speak spanish.
I actually think there's a school offering the PharmD in PR already...so there may be plenty of RPhs, too...

There are two schools that have PharmD in Puerto Rico. Nova Southeastern has a Puerto Rico satellite campus and the University of Puerto Rico. So they definitely do graduate PharmD's

Is Spanish an absolute requirement to work in PR?

There's like one or two CVS's in Puerto Rico. Your chance of getting a job there is slim to none. That waiting list must be comparable to an organ donation.

I'm sure there are thousands of fluent spanish speaking pharmacists in the U.S. of all ages who would love to move back home or closer to home and still make their $120k a year salary.

There's like one or two CVS's in Puerto Rico. Your chance of getting a job there is slim to none. That waiting list must be comparable to an organ donation.

I'm sure there are thousands of fluent spanish speaking pharmacists in the U.S. of all ages who would love to move back home or closer to home and still make their $120k a year salary.
I spent some time in PR in 2011 and I can tell you that I saw more than 2 CVS when I was there. A simple google search would show that there is about 20 CVS in PR. There are Walgreens in every corner in PR just like the mainland. They also have Walmart/Kmart/Sams/Costco etc..

https://www.cvs.com/stores/cvs-pharmacy-locations/Puerto-Rico

Reactions: 1 user
Living in Puerto Rico in terms of costs is about the same as the US. Only apartments and houses are bigger for the same price as an apartment in, say Miami. As a Puertorrican, with actual knowledge of the island, the salary is 48-50$ an hour. More if you work overnights, are a manager, or have higher positions, obvs.

Spanish is a must, but so is english.

No, 60k in mainland USA is not 150k here. We aren't a bunch of naked indians scraping for food. The US dollar has the same value here. And costs of living can be high if you want to live in a safe neighborhood. (And you should).

Yes, the government is practically bankrupt. Wasn't California in the same pickle? Well anyway, the malls never empty so maybe it's a priorities problem.

Sales tax is 11.5%. Ugh. Other tax laws only benefit the wealthy (surprise surprise).

Reactions: 1 users
High sales tax means letting tourist pay your taxes for you. Not a bad deal on balance.

Please. We pay taxes. All that crap about "tax free" PR is, like I said before, a benefit for the wealthy Americans. The tax break is meant for businesses, to encourage entrepreneurs to come to the island. The working class has no tax break. 30% of my salary goes to taxes, so don't tell me tourists pay MY taxes. Sure, there may be low to no "federal tax", but the US more than makes up for it by hiding the taxations like prohibiting import/export of products with anywhere else other than the US itself, and on top of that, charges us for it. F*ck logic.

Wake up, hon. You have to be delusional to think that the US will help a small country out of the goodness of their hearts. There is ALWAYS something in it for them. And that something is $$$

It's annoying and severely dim witted to think that americans and tourists pay our taxes. Despite what fox news and the media may want to perpetuate, there are more of us who are hard workers and are NOT looking for charity. Thank you very much.

Reactions: 1 user
Please. We pay taxes. All that crap about "tax free" PR is, like I said before, a benefit for the wealthy Americans. The tax break is meant for businesses, to encourage entrepreneurs to come to the island. The working class has no tax break. 30% of my salary goes to taxes, so don't tell me tourists pay MY taxes. Sure, there may be low to no "federal tax", but the US more than makes up for it by hiding the taxations like prohibiting import/export of products with anywhere else other than the US itself, and on top of that, charges us for it. F*ck logic.

Wake up, hon. You have to be delusional to think that the US will help a small country out of the goodness of their hearts. There is ALWAYS something in it for them. And that something is $$$

It's annoying and severely dim witted to think that americans and tourists pay our taxes. Despite what fox news and the media may want to perpetuate, there are more of us who are hard workers and are NOT looking for charity. Thank you very much.

Chica, pull it back a little. Education will always Trump aggression. Take the ignorance as a chance to educate. Your message gets lost when delivered with aggression.

Wow, defensive much? I wasn't suggesting that the high sales tax was somehow a benevolent hand out from the US. But if you can't see how a high sales tax is good for the citizens of a tourist economy, well, ok then.

Chica, pull it back a little. Education will always Trump aggression. Take the ignorance as a chance to educate. Your message gets lost when delivered with aggression.

Don't call me chica.

And as for the rest, read it with a smile. It won't seem as aggressive. Why is it frowned upon and seen as aggressive when a woman takes a firm stand on anything? I just told it like it is. I don't have to make the truth pleasing.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, defensive much? I wasn't suggesting that the high sales tax was somehow a benevolent hand out from the US. But if you can't see how a high sales tax is good for the citizens of a tourist economy, well, ok then.

I never said it wasn't. I'm just tired of misinformation being taken as true. Many mainlanders aren't well versed with what actually happens on the island, and wrongly assume many things.

Don't call me chica.

And as for the rest, read it with a smile. It won't seem as aggressive. Why is it frowned upon and seen as aggressive when a woman takes a firm stand on anything? I just told it like it is. I don't have to make the truth pleasing.

:beat:

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

:biglove:

I've been following this thread and I gotta say that I love the way you are handling the misconceptions about the "isla del encanto" with all this people.

I debated if I should respond but it will mess with your mofongo, so why not?

I love watching the 'Real Housewives' shows, guilty pleasure. Let me set up the scene and quote one of them when issued with the threatening and *****ically confrontational "Don't Call Me, whatever" command, the other character retorts with...
so
Don't call me, chica.
Is Bitch Better? Bitch!
Certainly more fitting in your case.
This misdirected anger is from YOUR poor cultural identity issues, cultural male repression of females and you man cheatin' on you (and you know he is). Confront the baby daddy, not me.
When you grow up, you'll find the angry female minority role closes the door: It doesn't open it up to discussion.
By the way, I took your advice and composed my message with a big ol' smile on my face.
Deuces

Reactions: 1 users
I debated if I should respond but it will mess with your mofongo, so why not?

I love watching the 'Real Housewives' shows, guilty pleasure. Let me set up the scene and quote one of them when issued with the threatening and *****ically confrontational "Don't Call Me, whatever" command, the other character retorts with...
so
Don't call me, chica.
Is Bitch Better? Bitch!
Certainly more fitting in your case.
This misdirected anger is from YOUR poor cultural identity issues, cultural male repression of females and you man cheatin' on you (and you know he is). Confront the baby daddy, not me.
When you grow up, you'll find the angry female minority role closes the door: It doesn't open it up to discussion.
By the way, I took your advice and composed my message with a big ol' smile on my face.
Deuces

Come on dude. Have you ever met a real women? There you have it. Don't let the world read your poor manner of dealing with this situation. Man up and show some respect! Your arguments are a disgrace. You are defeated!
+pity+(this is me playing some music for your whining)

Why not?
I think I've encountered a 'real woman' once or twice before. They are smart enough to handle discussion (initiate and conclude) without necessitating reference to their sex. Then demand: respect me, I'm a woman. They'd eat a bug before attempting to garner support by saying, I'm a woman. They use their brains. And more often then not, they win.
Oh Pre-Pharmacy student, playing the sexist card: contemptible action.
I am most definitely NOT your boyfriend, and neither is he. He's cheating on you, as well. Direct your rage towards him.
Although the masculine energy in your writing, desperately single or perhaps lesbian?
If this is how you think you'll get through pharmacy school, good luck!

Checkmate.

Come on dude. Have you ever met a real women? There you have it. Don't let the world read your poor manner of dealing with this situation. Man up and show some respect! Your arguments are a disgrace. You are defeated!
+pity+(this is me playing some music for your whining)

Why not?
I think I've encountered a 'real woman' once or twice before. They are smart enough to handle discussion (initiate and conclude) without necessitating reference to their sex. Then demand: respect me, I'm a woman. They'd eat a bug before attempting to garner support by saying, I'm a woman. They use their brains. And more often then not, they win.
Oh Pre-Pharmacy student, playing the sexist card: contemptible action.
I am most definitely NOT your boyfriend, and neither is he. He's cheating on you, as well. Direct your rage towards him.
Although the masculine energy in your writing, desperately single or perhaps lesbian?
If this is how you think you'll get through pharmacy school, good luck!

Checkmate.

First, I am a male! Your lack of respect towards women is just gross.
Second, You need to get laid dude! Too much pharmacy **** going on your head. Get a life!
Third, are you suggesting some discrimination against LGBTQ people?
Fourth, I'm accepted to a PharmD already but I definitely don't need a doctorate to show respect and notice when someone is just so childish to respond like you did twice. Pity you are a pharmacist.

You're better than an early Christmas gift.
However, in the spirit of giving, I erased my response to your last message.
The harshness of it could have a deleterious effect upon the mentality required to achieve success in pharmacy school.
Heaven knows, you've got that one covered.
My posts ALWAYS favor the pharmacy tech and student, while mocking the arrogance and hypocrisy common to the majority of pharmacists.
The post-nominal letters following my name are required for work, NOT a weapon on SDN.

In complete honesty, kick ass in school.

I have a feeling I would understand this thread better after a beer, or three. But off to work I go, so maybe I'll try to figure it out later.

I think Owlegrad meant no harm with that comment. I would agree, after all, it is the reason why Florida has no income tax (sales tax and property taxes from tourists/snowbirds is more than enough). However, it is that tax on top of a lot more other tax increases. And for what? One of the most inefficient governments this world has seen.

The tax breaks you are thinking of wouldn't apply to a pharmacist salary. However, there are a LOT of loopholes in the tax system that could be exploited by a good CPA. That is part of the reason why doctor's reported salaries are substantially lower than in the states. But then again, the government keeps raising taxes to keep up with its ridiculously inefficient spending so those loopholes won't be counting for much in the near future.

The tax breaks can apply to you if you are a .1%er. Do you make money off investments? Is the capital gains tax taking a huge chunk of your already giant pile of money? THEN you could save millions by moving to Puerto Rico. To know more about these tax breaks google "Act 20" -for individuals- and "Act 22"- for businesses.

I think your other questions have been answered already.

Oh, and according to the federal government, the cost of living is slightly higher than the average of the mainland. However, as has been pointed out already, you will save good money on comparable beachfront property in the states.