pulmonology after anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjohns1

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm wondering what it would take in additional training for an anesthesiologist to become a board-certified pulmonologist. must he complete 2 years of medicine residency plus 2 years of pulmonary fellowship or is any of that reduced due to anesthesia training? what would the scenario be for a anesthesiologist fellowship-trained in critical care to become a bc pulmonologist? any thoughts on how likely training programs would be to take on such a person? thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

xjohns1 said:
i'm wondering what it would take in additional training for an anesthesiologist to become a board-certified pulmonologist. must he complete 2 years of medicine residency plus 2 years of pulmonary fellowship or is any of that reduced due to anesthesia training? what would the scenario be for a anesthesiologist fellowship-trained in critical care to become a bc pulmonologist? any thoughts on how likely training programs would be to take on such a person? thanks for the help.

One of my fellow fellows had the same idea. During his last Anesth year he decided he really wanted to do critical care, so he did a 1 yr. fellowship in CCM.

During his CCM year, he really was interested in pulmonary medicine, so he had to go back and do a general internal medicine residency, then he did a 2 yr fellowship in pulmonary (actually I think he may have done 3 yrs because he did a research yr). He may have gotten 6 months credit for IM at the beginning.

Total training time Anesth 4yr + CCM 1yr + IM 2.5yr + Pulm 3 yr = 10.5 yrs. (you could probably do it in 9.5 yrs).

Boarded in Anesth, IM, CCM, Pulm. Currently practicing Pulm/CCM.

Good luck and make sure you vote to save social security!

KG