Purchased wrong lab manual. What to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TooMuchPressure

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to the bookstore and asked one of the employees to help me find the lab manual I needed. I show him my schedule with all the information on it to make the right decision. He hands me the wrong lab manual and I buy it. I go home to do the post lab only to find out it's the wrong lab manual. The employee had 1 job! If I knew what lab manual I needed I wouldn't have asked him in the first place. Anyways, they have a no return policy for any book with the seal open. The book was $60. The lab manual I needed is $7. I'm going to talk to them today but I doubt they will refund me. I would understand if I bought the wrong book on my own, but they picked it out for me. I had no idea there were 2 different lab manuals. Any advice? Tough luck and move on or is there anything I could do?

Members don't see this ad.

Sell it to a third party textbook vendor if the school won't take it back. Or sell it on amazon. You won't make back all 6o but something is better than nothing

School bookstores are generally notorious for being overpriced and ****ty.

If it's a common manual try to sell it, either on campus (generally pretty easy) or online. Then buy another one from your store. Nothing you can do about the employee failure though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately it's not a common lab manual because it is used for studio physics. I won't have any luck except for maybe my area so I'll give it ago.

Unfortunately it's not a common lab manual because it is used for studio physics. I won't have any luck except for maybe my area so I'll give it ago.
If your school has a FB group, post some ads there. Someone's bound to be on the lookout for a discounted new lab manual.

I'm going to talk to them today but I doubt they will refund me.

Show up and don't leave till they refund you the manual.

Sounds harsh but believe me it will get refunded if you are very adamant. Refunding 1 person is chump change and they can sell it as used.

Reactions: 1 user
I would admantly demand a refund because it was an employee's fault. I would be very polite about it at first, but get demanding if being polite doesn't work. It wasn't your fault, and they should recognize that.

Reactions: 3 users
Folks - THIS is what credit cards are for. The credit card company has the authority to grant you a refund in situations and will generally do so. Use credit cards where the seller doesn't offer refunds, because your credit card processer generally does.

(Of course, Pay them off monthly!)

Reactions: 3 users
How did you do it?
I remember buying a book + solution manual for 300 and the bookstore refused to buy it back because the professor decided to use a different book next year. He didn't make tenure either

How did you do it?
I remember buying a book + solution manual for 300 and the bookstore refused to buy it back because the professor decided to use a different book next year. He didn't make tenure either
Yeah, I had an issue once because our school purchased textbooks for financial aid recipients. You swiped your student ID for the books, and then once drop/add ended they would double check your purchases against your class schedule and cover everything that was required reading.

Silly me decided to open my textbooks during the first week of class...and of course the one class I ended up trading out of was the one where they shrink-wrapped the new books. Couldn't return it, ended up paying full price. I learned my lesson, though: don't open your textbooks at the beginning of the semester :p :laugh:

"Good afternoon bookstore employees
I would like to address an issue I had with Employee X; I came to purchase a lab manual, and with trust in the expertise of the bookstore employee I purchased what I believe was the right manual. I then got home, looked at my classwork and it hit me.. I had been cheated, lie too, deserted, hurt.. How dare you commit such atrocities on me!!! I demand a full refund, or my rich daddy is going to sue you for 50 million dollars.
GOOD DAY!! *tips hat*

That's how I would handle it