pure motor stroke... oversimplified?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleshwound

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had always associated pure motor strokes w lesions at the posterior limb of the internal capsule. However, wouldn't one also get sensory deficits as well? The medial lemniscus/VPL radiations run right by! Even medscape describes a transient numbness. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1163029-overview#aw2aab6b7

Members don't see this ad.

Lacunes can be pretty precise. Pure motor syndromes certainly happen, but motor syndromes frequently have changes in sensory perception, even if it is just from changes to the skin turgor due to lack of tone, etc. Bell's palsy patients frequently describe a feeling of numbness or stiffness/woodenness even though they don't have CN V deficits.

Reactions: 1 users
I've seen most pure motor strokes from distal emboli to the motor cortex. Some amazingly specific.... just weakness in one hand, for example.

I've seen most pure motor strokes from distal emboli to the motor cortex. Some amazingly specific.... just weakness in one hand, for example.

Totes. Omega syndrome. Actually easier to get pure motor via the grey matter than the white where things all get packed together.