Pursuing a dental career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freshstart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi every one!!!! I need some help please!, I’m just came from the Caribbeans where I did my high school years and want to pursue a dental career in USA. The university process in here is different from my country where you can enter directly as a Dental student and we can do the pre-dental and the dental school in the same facilities with out taking and exam. Which is different from here where you have to do a pre-dental and then take the DAT to enter to a Dental school. What I would like to know is what type of program I should enrolled to get the pre-dental classes in my community collage and or if I enrolle in dental hygiene does that help me to get into a dental school. I really appreciate any information you can give me.

Thanks in advance:)

Members don't see this ad.

any one?? i really apreciate any info you can give me, like i call nova for information about what type of bachellor i have to do in order to apply there, and they told me any. but i'm still in the air:scared:, thoses that mean that i just apply to what ever bachellor or which one you recomende to me would be more atractive to a dental school? thank you for any info you can give me

I think a few schools discourage you taking courses at a community college, but at the same time there are many of them that will accept them. With that being said, it's always best to take the classes at a 4-year undergraduate university if there is one around you (and that you can reasonably afford).

No school cares what you major in; if you have a 4.0 in Art History and good grades in your science classes that they require (biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, biochemistry/microbiology/physiology for some schools, etc.) than you are in good shape. So as far as what you have to do is:

1) Major in ANYTHING you want; they weren't kidding when they told you that. Dental hygiene might help you pay some bills if you don't get into dental school right away, but if you work hard and get good grades, you'll never use the degree and get any real experience out of it. Just pick a topic you really love and know you can get A's in the classes. If you love astronomy, major in it; you'll probably get better grades that way.
2) Take the DAT after you take biology, chemistry, and organic chemistry

That's pretty much it. Throw in some volunteering in your community and maybe some shadowing if you can in there, and things should work out for you.

Thank a lot i really apreciate the information you gave me:)