Pursuing a masters while in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smiless123

Reaction score
The prospect of pursuing either a masters in law or masters in public health dual degree while in dental school has come up in my mind, and I was wondering if anyone who has done something similar can chime in?

I like the idea of specializing and, knowing I would already have to put in the extra time for good grades, am worried that pursuing a dual degree could negatively effect this.

Additionally, the dual degree would be no added cost in tuition or cost of attendance. Thanks in advance for y’all’s time!

Members don't see this ad.

How do you plan to use this additional degree? How will it augment your career? If you don’t have a plan and are pursuing a degree for the sake of having another degree, you’re probably wasting your time.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you like the idea of specializing then just bust it in dental school and get the masters with your specialty. If OMFS, go 6 yr and get the MD. You’ll have all the letters after your name you can dream of.

Reactions: 1 users
The prospect of pursuing either a masters in law or masters in public health dual degree while in dental school has come up in my mind, and I was wondering if anyone who has done something similar can chime in?

I like the idea of specializing and, knowing I would already have to put in the extra time for good grades, am worried that pursuing a dual degree could negatively effect this.

Additionally, the dual degree would be no added cost in tuition or cost of attendance. Thanks in advance for y’all’s time!
I got my MPH during dental school. It helped me when negotiating salary offers in FQHCs but that's about the only benefit I got from it

Reactions: 2 users

where are you in dental school right now?

it's good there is no extra cost.

I don't think it's worth it tbh and if it costs you extra effort may thwart your priority of getting good grades to specialize.

but if you prefer having extra letters and/or have a very strong interest in the subject to other free time activities etc go for it

What exactly does someone in an MPH learn and is able to do that someone without an MPH cannot so? I get the vibe that those degrees you just look at studies of populations and their access to health are. There also is an emphasis with “health equity” and social issues peppered in. Why does someone need a degree for that?

An extra degree is useless fluff that won't help in your practice. NOBODY cares what school you went to undergrad, or graduate. NOBODY cares. Repeat after me. NOBODY CARES.

Why not just chill and go work out and or get a hobby. You only live once. You really want to sit around in college lectures all day long doing dentistry and masters? When you look back on life, its the fun things you do that enriches your life. Not sitting around in lectures.

Having master degree definitely helps increase your chance of getting into ortho, if you are interested in this specialty. When I was an ortho resident, I took some classes for my master with a couple of DMD students. These students later earned the same MS degree (MS in oral biology) that we, ortho residents, earned. Some of these students later applied for ortho residency and got into very good programs.

If it’s free and you’re interested in it, then go for it. No need to justify your motivation to randoms on sdn. At my school, the extra masters programs aren’t very difficult so wouldn’t worry too much about work load.

If it’s free and you’re interested in it, then go for it. No need to justify your motivation to randoms on sdn. At my school, the extra masters programs aren’t very difficult so wouldn’t worry too much about work load.

That is true. I think if OP thinks it will help him in his job...not so much. If genuine interest- then sure go learn something interesting. I personally took mandarin/spanish classes during my dental school first year...and then I dropped it. I was like dude I'm in lecture 24/7 plus having to pass classes/lab etc I don't have time to juggle everything and keep sane. So I quit and ended up having some free time to pursue leisure activities.

I guess it would help with specializing as Charles noted. But regardless for GP dentistry- there's zero carryover.

I got a masters in dental school and the chair of my residency said it’s one of the (bigger) reasons he liked my application