Push back application for the 3rd time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplecricket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I know I've been posting a lot lately, my anxiety is getting the better of me. I'm really wondering if pushing my application back for the 3rd time is a good idea, or if I should just apply and see how things shake out.

Alright - I'm a 25yo non-traditional applicant. Graduated with a cumulative undergrad GPA of 3.39. I then did an SMP-like program (basically an SMP but got a grad. certificate instead of a master's) and graduated with a 3.76. I graduated with my M.S. in chemistry this past fall with a 3.88.

I've done your usual run-of-the mill ECs, shadowing, free clinic volunteering, leadership role in undergrad, animal rescue. Also do some artsy stuff. Nothing earth-shattering. I have minor lab experience from undergrad (mainly running PCR and counting cells), but my most significant research experience was from my M.S., where I was able to actually work on a project, write, and do data analysis, etc.

So right now I'm kind of in a bind. In addition to my undergrad GPA my MCAT is holding me back. I got a 28 overall, 10 BS, 11 VR, and a 7 PS. That 7 is killing me. So I'm conflicted, the soonest I'll probably be able to retake is July - scores would then come out in August.

So here's my main question, would it be better to A) be 100% verified w/ my 28 right at the beginning of the cycle and apply to carefully targeted schools, B) Get verified, but note that I'm waiting on a new MCAT score, or C) just take ANOTHER year to prep for a retake, get some more ECs, and then hit it hard next cycle right out of the gate? I'm really trying to give myself the best chance at both MD and DO.

I guess I just hate the idea of pushing back again, I was originally going to apply in 2013, then 2014, and now here we are, so I think some of it is my pride suffering.

Members don't see this ad.

You seem above average for DO schools from what I glean and at least have a shot at some IIs for MD. Got to ask yourself if the letters after your name are worth another year.

Just my .02. I'm a nontrad applying this year as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
What state do you live in? If you are in Ca or NY then MD is going to be a hail mary. Not sure what an "SMP-like program" is, but if it is legitimate then I would say your major problem is your MCAT score (again, for MD schools.) If you can accept that DO is your best route, and that it will afford you wonderful opportunities, then I say go ahead and apply. You are competitive for all but the most competitive DO schools.

Cheers

Your application is fine as is (unless you live in CA and dream of going to a UC). If you want to go to med school next year apply to school this cycle. You'll get love from DO schools and potentially an MD school or two.

Thanks all, I'm a VA resident.

And I'm fine with DO, my state DO school (VCOM) is one of my favorite schools, just worried since I haven't yet been able to find a DO to shadow, not to mention get a letter and it's already April.

Oh and SMP-like is just how I describe it, since it didn't end in a master's, but it's not an undergrad-level post bac. It's an actual program (you can find it on the AAMC postbacc search) I just don't want to be TOO specific here. ;)

Would there be any value in retaking late June/July? Or would that just delay my app being looked at. I've heard some DOs don't like less than an 8 in a section.

If you want to get into MD programs, you need to retake the MCAT. I would suggest doing that and reapplying after a year unless you score so well on practice exams that you're confident of your results. Turning in your secondaries in mid august isn't going to be a death sentence. It'll be 'meh'. I.e. not early and not late.

With your undergrad gpa, you need to beast the MCAT even though you have a good grad gpa since you need to show mastery of the material.

I had a 3.5 in undergrad and i got a 30, but waited and retook and got a 34. I think my cycle went FAR better because of it. If you can do research this year it'll make you an even stronger applicant.

Thanks for the advice! At the moment I feel pretty confident I'd be ready by July, I took the new one on Saturday but voided due to running out of time 2/3 of the way through the new physical sciences section (the one portion I need to really improve upon!), but I felt good about the other sections. I'm wondering how much of a disadvantage I'd be at to make schools wait until August to review my app. Sigh, it's all about timing isn't it?