Putting down a deposit, then choosing another school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neb19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically, if you were accepted to a school and put down a deposit for it, but later interviewed at another school and also got into that one and preferred it over the first.....would there be any negative consequences for backing out of the first school and going for the second? Other than losing your deposit, of course.

(This hasn't happened to me yet but it might in the near future.)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No, generally you'll lose your deposit and the next person in line should get your spot.

You will likely have to pay the deposit anyway as you may not know if you get in or not to your first choice school unless you like playing with the odds. If its a few weeks between notifications you can potentially ask for an extension, but they are not obligated to give it to you. It'll be a favor if you do, and likely you may want a reason.

You should notify the school of your change in plans ASAP in fairness to other applicants, just good ethics.

Don't worry too much. Get your acceptances then worry so you don't have unnecessary stress. :)

There are no real negative consequences besides losing the money you deposited. I am in this particular situation right now. I had to put a down payment for my spot at one of the schools I was accepted to more than a month ago. The only issue is that I have a couple of interviews left with programs that are pretty high on my list as well. So no real worries besides the possibility of losing hundreds of dollars, but that is a part of the application process that everyone should be aware of anyway.