Putting in course credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derrick rose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that the AMCAS application goes by semester hours. However, my school uses credits, where 1.5 credits = 1 full semester course and the labs have 0.0 credits. Also, some of the courses I took didn't even indicate a lab section, but instead the lab sections were predetermined by the lecture you choose. More simply put, the courses definitely had a lab component that was not indicated on the transcript.

1) Do I put down the credits from my institution for each course or convert to semester hours? (1.5 credits vs. 3 hours/4 hours)

2) Should I add "and lab" to the courses that have not indicated a lab component on the transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

1. You don't need to convert to semester hours. All you do is put the credits down and select whether it was taken on semester or quarter system.

2. From what I read on the AAMC guide, you put "and lab" if it was a combined lab/lecture, even if it doesnt indicate a lab on the transcript. For example, my biology class on my transcript just says "General Biology" even though I had a lab every Friday afternoon. Thus, on my AMCAS, I wrote "General Biology and Lab." It says on the AAMC guide to do this if your class had a lab section but it doesnt indicate that in the course title.

I am in a similar situation. Each full semester course is 1 credit, and half-semester is .5. I think the transcript says that each 1 credit converts to 4 credits as an equivalent. Labs do not count as extra. It looks like I have 30 credits essentially.