Pyschiatry vs Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fireboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m currently a M2, and my interests are lean towards both psychiatry and neurology. I was hoping for input as to how these two fields compare, in terms of the different types of satisfaction that they offer and their pros/cons relative to each other. Additionally, details as to how these two fields differ in their practice models post-residency would be very helpful.

Thanks so much for any input!

(note: I’ve cross-posted this in the Psychiatry forum)

Members don't see this ad.

Only you can decide the degree of satisfaction of either field. Neurology is a lot more "organic" than Psychiatry. Nevertheless, there is a tremendous overlap in Neurobehavioral, especially.

Practice wise, I think the lifestyle of a Psychiatrist is "better". Neurologists in general, work just like Internists.

My main "con" in Psychiatry is that I could not deal with depressed and "crazy" people all the time. Also, unless you have an office in Beverly Hills, your patient population is rather skewed toward the lower spectrum of wealth. You will need to work for a lot of state programs, etc at some point or another of your career. ( Not pretty ...)

Only you can decide the degree of satisfaction of either field. Neurology is a lot more "organic" than Psychiatry. Nevertheless, there is a tremendous overlap in Neurobehavioral, especially.

Practice wise, I think the lifestyle of a Psychiatrist is "better". Neurologists in general, work just like Internists.

My main "con" in Psychiatry is that I could not deal with depressed and "crazy" people all the time. Also, unless you have an office in Beverly Hills, your patient population is rather skewed toward the lower spectrum of wealth. You will need to work for a lot of state programs, etc at some point or another of your career. ( Not pretty ...)

One good thing about psychiatry is that you just refuse consults on a daily basis.... you never want the sodium too high or the potassium too low.... ohh lordy no.