Q about GPA calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding the exact meaning of the cummulative GPA. I tried to search for this question but couldn't find one..forgive me if it was already dealt with

I have attended 4 schools (2community colleges, a Univ. and a MBA). Then should I consolidate all 4 schools gpa for cum. gpa? I had 3.3 in both JC, 3.5 MBA(currently attending) but got 2.5 at ucla. If I consolidate them, it is about 3.0. Can I consider that my cum. gpa is 3.0? would the 2.5 at ucla harm or kill my chances to get an admission?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, a cumulative GPA would count them all I believe.

The 2.5 at ucla would harm your chances, especially since pharm school is more on par with the education challenge you would get at ucla over the cc's. But, since your cumulative is higher, the pharm schools may not even notice where you got all the grades at, instead looking at the 3.0 overall instead. They will probably just look at the fact that you attended a couple cc's along with ucla, and ucla should help you a bit.

With a 3.0 it will be hard to get in anywhere in this competitive market. Study hard and nail your pcat. A high pcat score will make them overlook the 3.0. Good luck.

Yeah, you are right, your cum. gpa is 3.0.

I attended 8 different schools (I've moved around alot). At my first University, I took some higher level math classes and bombed them (Ds). I really liked math, so I continued the abuse for 3 classes before I switched majors! :idea: They were not pre-reqs, but they were still included in my cum. gpa on pharmcas (3.4).

That said, my gpa for my pre-reqs was 4.0, so my supplemental application looked good.

The fact that you have (or will have) 2 degrees, shows that you can finish a program. How did you do on the PCAT? A good score will help. In addition, do you have some good extracurricular activities and experience in a pharmacy?

There is something about you that makes you stand out. Find it and make sure that you convey it to the schools of your choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the website (http://www.pharmcas.org/applicants/gpa.htm)

PharmCAS will generate the following GPA calculations:

Undergraduate GPAs
• Science, Non-Science, Math, Undergraduate Cumulative

Graduate / Professional GPAs
• Science, Non-Science, Math, Graduate/Professional Cumulative

Overall Cumulative GPA
• Undergraduate, Graduate, and Professional Study

College/University GPA
• Separate GPA for college/university attended.

PharmCAS GPA CALCULATION RULES applies - see website

Thank you so much for all replies...
One more question.. then Should I apply next year 2007 instead of 2006, after I impove my gpa and make work experiences? or just apply this year and see what schools say? what do you think?
Is there any disadvantages for the re-applicants?

And I have finished all my prerequisits mostly with 'B's and few 'A's except 2'C's in one bio and a physics class. should I retake those class during this fall? Please advice me

mine said:
Thank you so much for all replies...
One more question.. then Should I apply next year 2007 instead of 2006, after I impove my gpa and make work experiences? or just apply this year and see what schools say? what do you think?
Is there any disadvantages for the re-applicants?

And I have finished all my prerequisits mostly with 'B's and few 'A's except 2'C's in one bio and a physics class. should I retake those class during this fall? Please advice me

apply now