q. about salary...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmani

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know there were previous threads about salary but does anyone know about how much a pathologist in a hospital setting would make-starting and eventual? especially sub-specialties,i.e; surgical path and derm-path?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It will vary so much based on things like location, size of practice, number of specimens, how much the partners work vs vacation etc... that any number that someone gives is basically useless.

So here is some basically useless numbers:

Starting private practice 120s to 180s
Partnership private practice 200s to 500s
Dermpath 200s to 500s (very very very difficult to get fellowship)
Cytopath 200s to 400s
Surgical path is not a subspecialty. It is just general anatomic pathology.

If money is the thing check out anest. shorter residency, good work hours, alot more money.

thanks....but if you say derm-path is so hard to get, what fellowship would you suggest a resident go after and easily getting hired?....cyto-path? anat-path? heme-path?......etc

You don't necessarily have to do any fellowship to get hired. I am not planning on doing one and I doubt I will have any trouble finding a job.

I would suggest not picking a subspecialty based on job opportunities but on what you like to do. And, besides you have many years to worry about which subspecialty to go into. First you have to do four years of AP/CP. More important to the issue may be finding a program for your general path training.

I get the feeling from your questions you have not done any path rotations. Maybe I am wrong, but if so that is the first thing you need to do. That way you will know what parts of path are fun for you and which are not.