Q: Good general review journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gadofosveset

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q: I'm a nonsurgeon looking to keep an eye on the general surgery world. Liver, pancreas, GI/colorectal mostly. Any suggestions on a good journal to follow if I had to choose just one? It's a vague request, but I'm looking for more general current opinion and review articles rather than cutting edge subspecialized research. Does this kind of journal exist?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There are aggregators that can push headlines and abstracts out to you via email. Medscape and Journal Watch are two that come to mind. If you still really want to subscribe to a journal then JAMA Surgery may be a place to start. If you have an AMA membership you probably already have online access to the full articles.

Q: I'm a nonsurgeon looking to keep an eye on the general surgery world. Liver, pancreas, GI/colorectal mostly. Any suggestions on a good journal to follow if I had to choose just one? It's a vague request, but I'm looking for more general current opinion and review articles rather than cutting edge subspecialized research. Does this kind of journal exist?

Thanks.

Take a look at Surgical Clinics of North America. They loop through a pretty broad range of surgical topics, and do a pretty good job of giving a general review of each area.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
selected readings in general surgery by the ACS is also along the same lines as surgical clinics....

More choices :

Year book of surgery (elsevier)
Updates in Surgery (springer)
Roshan Lall Gupta's Recent Advances in Surgery (jaypee)
Advances in Surgery by cameron