Qualities of a good Non Trad School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sindadel

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reading through Whipple's thread got me thinking about how different different schools are and which qualities might be best for non-trads. We need to add a non-trad score to the master spreadsheet.

Block system - one class at a time
One exam at a time
Pass/Fail
Lectures podcasted
Limited mandatory sessions
Scheduling well in advance
Financial aid for childcare

Additions? Thoughts? Discussions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Those just sound like good conditions for any student IMO.

Edit: Aside from a block system or the noted exam structure, as I am ignorant of the benefits at this time.

I'm nontrad. IDK, I'm more financially minded, and a good COA/living was high on my list. Everyone has things going on, but older/married/with children seem to feel the brunt of small issues such as scheduling more.
I appreciate the block system, but it's hardly any less work than taking 5 courses simultaneously, as we did 1st semester. At least they can make it no less work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Low cost of living was also a consideration for me, but I think that the larger one was being in an area where my spouse would be able to find employment. And while I'm on the subject, I've heard that some schools actually offer support in helping spouses find a job...

Also, a nice thing about the block or systems-based schedule -- if you have to miss a block or exam if your child's sick, it's not to hard to jump into the next block and then just make up the missed block over the summer or winter break (instead of having to retake the entire semester).

I've also seen schools that have a daycare right on their campus (mostly for the kids of faculty/staff, but students can also enroll their children as well).

Last edited:
Non Trad, COA/Living is key to me here. Next is school having a legacy of older non-trads with families which makes it easier to get resources, help, and just a break when you have baby puke all over you.

The school itself really doesn't matter - most schools nowadays have enough non-trads that faculty and admin are familiar with them. And most non-trads should be able to cope with anything the school throws at them.

I think the cost/quality of life issue is really the main thing - I would have loved to have stayed in NYC for med school but it would have been really tough financially on me and wife, so we went to a much less expensive locale. Another thing to consider if you have kids is proximity to family in case of emergencies, occasional babysitting, etc . . .