quarter system applicant..apply without spring grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedchild

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

As indicated in my MDApps, I'm applying next cycle so in June of 2009 and I'm starting to make plans/figuring out my application timeline. I'm attending a University of California school that runs on a quarter system which means that school will not end until June 12 and final grades won't be on our transcripts until late June/early July. I'm currently a fourth year student (going to take a year off) so I will have three years + 2 quarters (totaling 11 quarters) worth of grades if I send out my application in early June before my Spring quarter finals. I'm debating if I should wait for my grades and apply in early July. And if I do that, I'm assuming that my application won't be verified until mid to late July. So getting down to the jest of it, I'm pretty much choosing between the following two options...

1. apply in early June (within the first week) but without my last quarter grades...
2. wait for last quarter's gardes, and apply in early July (in terms of time, one month difference from option 1)...

People I've talked to have told me that my GPA is high enough and that since I'm a four year, I already have at least 3 years of grades so I should just go ahead and apply early. However, some have said the opposite, claiming that since I do have a high GPA, I should just wait and save myself the trouble of having to update schools later on... What should I do?

Also, if I do end up choosing option 1, do I have to update all the schools I apply to with my spring quarter grades? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

As indicated in my MDApps, I'm applying next cycle so in June of 2009 and I'm starting to make plans/figuring out my application timeline. I'm attending a University of California school that runs on a quarter system which means that school will not end until June 12 and final grades won't be on our transcripts until late June/early July. I'm currently a fourth year student (going to take a year off) so I will have three years + 2 quarters (totaling 11 quarters) worth of grades if I send out my application in early June before my Spring quarter finals. I'm debating if I should wait for my grades and apply in early July. And if I do that, I'm assuming that my application won't be verified until mid to late July. So getting down to the jest of it, I'm pretty much choosing between the following two options...

1. apply in early June (within the first week) but without my last quarter grades...
2. wait for last quarter's gardes, and apply in early July (in terms of time, one month difference from option 1)...

People I've talked to have told me that my GPA is high enough and that since I'm a four year, I already have at least 3 years of grades so I should just go ahead and apply early. However, some have said the opposite, claiming that since I do have a high GPA, I should just wait and save myself the trouble of having to update schools later on... What should I do?

Also, if I do end up choosing option 1, do I have to update all the schools I apply to with my spring quarter grades? Thanks!

I'm not to sure on the application process of updating grades, but man, judging from your mdapps, you have a really good gpa.

Applying early would be my first priority. Who knows how long it might take a school to send out a transcript after you request it, so the delay in getting your transcripts verified can be longer than you think. It is not necessary to update schools with later grades, but you may, assuming your excellent GPA trend is continued.

Overall, you have a great application. I think applying to 40 schools is a bit of overkill.