Quarter System Units... Did it mess up your total pre-req hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayjaystudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading another thread here, and the OP seemed to have gone into trouble (excerpt below) with the missing fraction units. I looked at OP's history and it seemed he already got accepted to a school, but he never addressed how he got it fixed.

He attended a quarter system university -- UCLA.

Hello SDNers,

I have a question about my pre-req units. I went to UCLA and took all my pre-reqs needed to graduate. The thing is, I am 0.6 hours short of the 8.0 hours of Inorganic chem needed which is ridiculous. These are the chemistry courses I took with number of units in parentheses (Quarter hours / Semester hours):

Chem 14A (4.0/2.7) - Atomic and Molecular Structure, Equilibria, Acids and Bases
Chem 14B (4.0/2.7) - Thermodyanimcs, Electrochem, Kinetics, and Organic Chem
Chem 14BL (3.0/2.0) - General and Organic Chem Lab 1
Chem 14C (4.0/2.7) - Structure of Organic Molecules
Chem 14CL (4.0/2.7) - General and Organic Chem Lab 2
Chem 14D (4.0/2.7) - Organic Reactions and Pharmaceuticals
Chem 153A (4.0/2.7) - Biochemistry: Structures, Enzymes, and Metabolism
Cheml 153L (4.0/2.7) - Biochemical Methods

AACOMAS classifies Chem 14A, B, and BL is inorganic chem, which gives me only 7.4 out of the 8.0 hours needed for inorganic chem.

I don't know how to get 0.6 hours of inorganic chemistry to satisfy this requirement. I'm looking at community college chemistry courses, but I don't think there is anything I can get credit for since I've already taken general chemistry at UCLA. What do I do??

Any advice would be very, very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I was reading another thread here, and the OP seemed to have gone into trouble (excerpt below) with the missing fraction units. I looked at OP's history and it seemed he already got accepted to a school, but he never addressed how he got it fixed.

He attended a quarter system university -- UCLA.
I imagine they got the extra hours by taking a semester of an advanced inorganic chemistry class, often called Analytical Chemistry or Quantitative Chemistry.

I ran into similar trouble, taking one quarter (2.7 hours) of writing in my first undergrad, but then switching to a semester school, and then applying to a med school that required one year (8 hours) of writing. I asked the med school if one quarter plus one semester sort of equaled one year, and they sort of said no.

I took two more full semesters of writing classes.